1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reasonable expectations in college football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Jake_Taylor, Dec 8, 2010.

1. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

LSU had a losing record in the 1990s. LSU had one SEC co-championship in the 1980s, 1 SEC championship in the 1980s, 1 SEC championship in the 1970s, and 1 SEC co-championship in the 1960s. Since 2001, they have 2 national championships and 3 SEC championships.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

What does "reasonable" have to do with college football?

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Missouri belongs to this tier, and Colorado and UCLA should be nowhere near it.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I always think about it with respect to how many wins that are virtual locks before the season even begins. Yes, there's the occasional App State-Michigan or James Madison-VT blip (not ignoring others, but those are the most recent that come to mind), but by and large the "better" schools in your BCS leagues start with three wins in the bag. So if you play a nine-game "real" season, eight wins means you played a bit better than .500 ball. That's not all that impressive. It's not embarassing, don't get me wrong, but that's not the level of performance your BCS-level coaches get paid to deliver.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

VT has won 10-plus games more consecutive years than anyone, I believe. In the Orange Bowl for the third time in four years and a BCS bowl for the fifth time since 1999.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Missouri really should be able to have consistent success being the only major program in a big state, but for some reason it didn't for a long time until Pinkel got settled in there. Moddy, I'd say VT fans should be able to expect 10 wins most years and ACC championships at least every few years, but should they be happy with that level or expect to take the next step?

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Well, they want to take the next step (and will forever wonder how things would have looked had it not jacked around its schedule this year = but it did so there). But the premise here is teams that expect to win 10 games every year. VT has done that and expects to do that and is regularly a BCS bowl contender.

Sure, people will say, but the ACC ain't the SEC or Big Ten (or probably even the Pac-10). All true. But 11 other teams in the ACC haven't achieved that level since the league expanded. VT has been in the league seven years and won the championship four times.

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

Seven conference titles since 1995. I'd put them in top tier.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, Virginia Tech should be in the top tier. The only reason I didn't was because Tech has never won a title.

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

If it's about program and fan expectation, UCLA absolutely belongs in this tier.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Colorado has contended for a national title 4-5 times in the last 21 years. The program is horseshit now, but still has a national reputation. I thought I had Missouri on that second list. Oops.

12. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

And Miami -- the major target of the ACC's raid of the Big East -- hasn't won diddly fucking poo.

Draft saved Draft deleted