1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason no. 9,310 why I am buying XM/Sirius

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jun 4, 2006.

1. Chef

Chef Active Member

Being in a fairly rural setting, sometimes the radio stations can be "limited".

Driving the other day, and the only station I can get is KRAP.

So, I hear an opening riff.........it is none other than.

"Love and Affection" by Nelson.

Oh Shit.

Now, I have had that song ingrained into the cortex of my brain for the past 3 days.

Oh Shit.

2. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

For a moment I thought you were talking about east Colorado.

True story: Once, while rolling west on I-70 to Denver over the Colorado prairie, I hit the SEEK button to find a new radio station once I lost the west Kansas one I had been listening to.

After watching FM frequencies spinning fruitlessly across my radio display for an hour, I tried the it on the AM side and got the same result.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I-70 between Kansas City and Denver = hell.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Thing is, Chef, not even XM/Sirius is going to prevent a song you really hate from getting in your head.

I had "In The Year 2525" drumming through my brain one night last week. And there is NO song I hate more than that one. ;D

5. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

stay away from XM49 Big Tracks then. They seem to have Love and Affection on heavy airplay lately. :-\

(Though, at least they keep coming with a steady diet of Eddie Money. :))

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

I will not sit by idly as you bash Nelson!!!

[​IMG]

They look like they'd get their asses kicked by Vixen, but this was irresistible power pop. And somehow "Love And Affection" hasn't appeared on our list oif worst no. 1 songs ever [/cross-threading].

But Maestro is right: If you're trying to avoid fairly obscure songs you hate, satellite radio is not the place to go. I hear "Love and Affection" pretty often on XM. Stick with shitty ass terrestial radio, which is likely to just give you the same crap over and over and over again.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Yup, I know the feeling. Once driving home from a basketball game in central Kansas, I caught the end of a San Antonio Spurs game from a San Antonio station ... but I couldn't pick up a nearby classic rock station.

8. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Gunnar Nelson looked pretty good on Celebrity Fit Club. Just sayin'.

9. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Definitely go for one of those two (I prefer XM), but as others said, "Love and Affection" is a song you'll probably run into with satellite once or twice.

Last night, on my way home from work, another of a million reasons, I love XM: Got it on Big Tracks and "Girls With Guns," the first single from Tommy Shaw after he left Styx the first time, comes on. This is really cool, getting an obscure tune from the '80s or '90s that you haven't heard in ages, instead of a steady rotation of the classic rock standbys that you've heard over and over again on terrestrial radio.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's a fucking GREAT song. A few weeks ago, I was convinced TIVO runs my life when I got home, found it recording something on BYH Classic and turned it on to find...Girls With Guns airing during the all-request hour.

I think my favorite XM song story is hearing a triple play of great 1990s hair metal--"The Deeper The Love," "Lovin You's A Dirty Job" and "Coming of Age"--during a late night trip home a few weeks ago. I hit rewind for the next half hour.

11. DyePack

DyePack New Member

Do the Nelson boys still have hair that Locks of Love would be bidding Fort Knox over?

And that Nelson album is a true classic.

12. BigRed

BigRed Active Member

Yeah, but the thing is, if you have XM/Sirius, you have about 150 choices other than said hated song... with K-Schlock, you're stuck.

Draft saved Draft deleted