1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason no. 8,310 why I love Mike Leach

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef, Apr 27, 2009.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I don't think luck had much to do with it. How many players are going to want to play at a school where they can have a great season and still be looked at as iffy by the NFL? Its the same reason North Carolina hoops and USC football get good recruits, not many schools have that kind of track record of getting their players into the pros. And if you want to get a big time player - that's the kind of things they notice.

2. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Graham Harrell showed at the Senior Bowl that he had a noodle for an arm. He will never play a down in the NFL.

3. bigblueman

bigblueman Member

Why should Graham Harrell be drafted? He's a system quarterback and he's worked from the spread since high school. In the NFL he would be under center, and I agree with the previous poster, he didn't look that good at the Senior Bowl.

Harrell is average height for the position, too slow, and doesn't have an NFL-quality arm.

There is one thing in Harrell's favor. The way he played through that hand injury against Baylor. Nine broken bones in his non-throwing hand, and didn't leave the game.

Mike Leach never fails to amaze with his comments, proving he's still good for one to two meltdowns in a year. You have to love a coach who goes for it on fourth down inside his own 30-yard line, which Leach consistently loves to do.

4. Apparently, you've never been to Lubbock. There are tumbleweeds blowing down the streets there.

5. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I was running errands a couple of months ago and one of the local sports-talk station was airing Leach's call-in show.

A caller asks him to recommend a movie.

Leach says, "I don't know what kind of movies you like, but you know what's a really good movie? The Last Seduction."

Not the answer I was expecting.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

7. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Last Seduction was pretty good.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Careful. That's the future capitol of Plainland Cowshitistan you're talking about...

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Anyone catch the DMN mistake du jour in the Mike Leach quote box?

On page 3C of the Tuesday paper.

10. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

He didn't recommend Pirates of the Caribbean?

11. CollegeJournalist

CollegeJournalist Active Member

I can think of several key plays Matt Stafford made. It's just that not many of them make him look like the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

The combines are given entirely too much weight, especially for skill players. Who gives two shits if Mark Sanchez can make every throw when he's in a covered fieldhouse with no pads, no defensive line and no defensive backs. Who cares how long it takes for Mike Crabtree to run 40 yards while wearing track shoes, spandex and, weirdly enough, no pads.

Like Kirk Herbstreit said: Matt Stafford, on the sideline, looks like the next great NFL QB. Matt Stafford, on the field, has a tendency to look like a freshman QB. Sure, he has the capabilities, but he's also wildly inconsistent. And now he's making more money than most QBs in the league? Laughable. Meanwhile, the Raiders decided Mike Crabtree's ability to catch everything in his zip code wasn't good enough to overcome him not running the 40. Because we all know how important that 40 is.

The NFL Combine, along with the NFL Draft, is just a part of the most ridiculously over-hyped "sporting event" on the planet.

There's a reason why the teams that draft 1-10 are the teams that draft 1-10 almost every year. And every year, they think they found the Messiah that's going to make them a Super Bowl contender. And every year, they win three or four games then end right back up in the top 10, overpaying another unproven rookie to "save" the franchise.

Meanwhile, the same teams, with few exceptions, occupy the last five or six picks every year. Funny how that works, isn't it?

I may not agree with Leach 100% here, but forgive me if I'm not jumping behind the majority of NFL scouts, head coaches and executives here.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Until recently, it was pretty rare for a receiver to be taken in the top 10. Also, how many receivers who have been taken in the top 10 have been worth it?

I thought Crabtree would go higher, and as a Niners fan, I'm thrilled they got him, but going in the top 10 is not exactly a freefall.

Draft saved Draft deleted