1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason No. 5432890767 why AP can lick my big toe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You can joke, but rodeo is a big deal in a lot of places. Plus, rodeo is the best sport I've ever covered. It is badass.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Heaven forbid that journalists should want to serve their readers. We really should just throw whatever on the page and get the paper out. Who cares about what readers actually want. Let's just give them little league agate and be done with it.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You have a bright future ahead as a JRC exec.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thank you for giving the passive aggressive take. When I saw Doc was the last who had posted I was hoping he had gone for the "flame-the-fuck-out-of-said-poster take."

5. sportschick

Hey, my future child's hockey career must be documented, dammit!

6. BBJones

BBJones Guest

Sorry, Sportschick, but I know of no readers who would want rodeo pictures or feel shortchanged if they didn't get them. And I don't live on the East Coast. I'm sure it's big in your 'hood, though.

7. sportschick

Yea, the Midwest is a hotbed of rodeo activity ::) ::)

Anyone with a whit of sense knows is a big deal in the West, and to act as if we should make our coverage decisions based on what works in the Midwest, South or East is assholish.

8. BBJones

BBJones Guest

But you made it sound like all readers, everywhere, were getting shortchanged by a lack of rodeo pictures. Did I read it wrong?

9. sportschick

10. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

They might not feel short changed, but there are a lot of states with cowboys in them and that makes for lots of local ties. There are more than 10 people at the NFR who are from the state my paper is in, or who went to school in the state. Readers can get their pro and college sports coverage on TV or the Web, but there isn't much rodeo coverage out there. So, when the national finals are going on you should cover it as best you can. Not to mention, it goes on at night in Vegas, so people are less likely to know the results. The news will actually be new in the morning, unlike the bulk of what is in papers.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

It's the Associated Press for a reason. They should serve all of their members and shoot something as big as the NFR. That's the fucking point.

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Yes, not to mention, from my limited experience covering the sport, a lot of cowboys are from small towns. Those papers won't have the money to send someone to Vegas for 10 days.

Who shoots the first 3 days of an event then skips a middle day? I can imagine some editors talking "We don't need to shoot this, it's the fourth day out of 10. Nothing important will happen and this should impact the overall results."

FYI a replay will be on ESPN2 in a few minutes. Not sure if it's tonight's round or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted