1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason No. 5432890767 why AP can lick my big toe

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportschick, Dec 10, 2007.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No photographer at the National Finals Rodeo tonight. Bastards.

Apparently, I'm not the only one upset about it either. Boyo on the photo desk said he'd been bombarded with calls about it.

Yet another reason why New Yorkers shouldn't be allowed to make coverage decisions. It's not all about the NFL, dipshits.

I feel better now. Sorry for the rant.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Not sure why this is an issue that keeps coming up.
    Can't they move a photo or two from a subscriber paper that was at the event?
    If you call early enough in the day, that arrangement can be easily made. In addition, if you flag it a day or two in advance, even better. If it's that important to you, take five minutes on the front end. It will save your 20 minutes of angst on the backend. So to speak.
    Many of those assignments aren't done in New York. Most are bureau assignments. If you're told otherwise, they're passing the buck.

3. jakewriter82

jakewriter82 Active Member

Wow...that is shitty.
    If I were an AP photog I'd be chomping at the bit to go shoot the national rodeo finals.
    Never covered a big rodeo, but even a small one is a great place to get some awesome shots.

4. sportschick

If I'd known they weren't planning coverage after they covered the first three days, I'd have called earlier. Given that they'd covered every other day, why wouldn't they have art from this one? Do you think they'd decide to not shoot a day of the World Cup? It's a niche sport too.

5. fishwrapper

They shot the earlier rounds and not the final? (Now, I see your issue)
    And no subscriber paper was there?

6. sportschick

This is the fourth round of the NFR. There are 10 rounds total, but yes, they shot the earlier rounds and not this one.

I don't know if a subscriber paper was there or not, but the guy at the New York desk seemed very frazzled by the number of callers he'd had.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Champing (cq).

Pet peeve, carry on.

8. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Silly me, I forgot that this thread was about the AP and rodeo. I couldn't get past the thought of licking your big toe. ;)

9. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

That totally blows.

10. fishwrapper

Then he should have done something about it.
    Like get a subscriber to move a couple shots. For the love of God, it's 2007. This isn't that difficult.

11. sportschick

Further proof that I fucking rule :D

12. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Wow. I looked at the title of this thread and jokingly thought, "this is going to be about the lack of NFR photos."

My shop called New York, we were forwarded to Vegas, but no one was there, so they transfered us to LA who said they'd call us back. They didn't. We ended up running a photo from the third round.

Gotta love how two of the six photos they ended up getting are feature shots. Just checked AP Exchange and no agate yet for fourth round.

At least the story comes across relatively quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted