1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reason 5796 why ESPN stinks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 31, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Like let me watch some billionaire bid on the original Batman Car. I don't care.

2. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

You can turn it on at any hour and find out exactly what you need to know without the idiocy. They had a nightly college football show that wasn't half bad. The America's Game programs are great TV. The pregame and postgame shows are high quality. And the network is only five years old.

When I went home for Christmas I realized just how much I missed NFLN, and how shitty ESPN's coverage is in substitute.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Fuck the NFL Network. I get it. But not the games. Instead I get some guy on the sidelines talking about the game and the in-studio announcers analyzing the drive summary and cutting to highlights.

4. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

When they show crap, I watch something else, how hard is that?
    Before ESPN, I got to see about 1/1,000th the college hoops I do now.
    I saw almost none of the U.S. national soccer team's qualifying games.
    They've made all our lives better as sports fans. Are they perfect? Of course not. But man, we sure do like to gripe around here about imperfections that are easily solved ... by changing the channel on occasion.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I see no problem here.

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I appreciate ESPN giving us tons of live events.

But ESPN Classic has been a colossal disappointment since ESPN acquired it, and it's 100 percent ESPN's fault.

I think 1990 Royals-O's was the first game ESPN ever televised, hence the re-airing.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember getting scores of "World Series of Poker" reruns from 2004 in 2006 and craving a good MLB game from the '70s every now and then.

ESPN Classic leaves a lot to be desired. They bought a Mercedes and turned it into a VW.

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

ESPN Classic is just that...great idea, wasted potential. Once SportsCentury took over, it really started to go downhill.

I'll be there for Orioles-Royals from 1990. I remember watching the end when I got home from school that day..

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/box-scores/boxscore.php?boxid=199004090KCA

And, as a Royals fan...that was when KC signed Mark Davis for way too much money. They lost the game after leading by three runs. Not the kind of game they had usually lost the previous 15 years. In an odd way, this loss did mark the start of the undertow for the Royals that they have never recovered from.

9. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

If it were "Reason No. 5796 why ESPN Classic sucks," you'd never have heard from me.
    The concept mostly leaves me cold, anyway.
    If you've got the time to watch a 19-year-old baseball game that didn't mean anything, you've got too much time on your hands.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. why would anybody want to watch an old game?

i never understood that

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

It's like other old stuff. I don't want to watch a game that is two days old or two weeks old or two months old or even two years old.

But I like watching some games that are 20 years old or more, to see in action the players I'd forgotten about or to appreciate how and why certain guys were good.

I don't want to read an Esquire from four months ago, but I'll dive into a Life magazine from 1967. That's what I want from a classic sports network.

Draft saved Draft deleted