1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Really dumb students push the envelope with dumb sweatshirts...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Jan 5, 2010.

1. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

At the risk of saying something that has already been posted -- I haven't read all five pages of this thread -- I want to know where the faculty advisors were on this one. Shouldn't something representing the school need to go through adult approval?

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

spnited's first post on this thread pretty much covers my point of view. People have been profiting off 9-11 for a LONG time (hi, Rudy!), slapping the image on pretty much everything you could think of. I think there were even 9-11 condoms.

I'm 99 percent sure these things could be sold in those shithole tourist trap shops around Times Square with nary a second look.

3. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I think the school to the East is like 99 percent Arabic.

One of my friends, who is Arabic and went to the 99 percent Arabic school for a year or two said he can't believe how stupid these high school students are and that it is people like them who give all arabs a bad name.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Speaking of profiting off of 9/11, I get a kick out of the FDNY hats that you occassionally see old timers wearing around here.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Or all the Yankees' merchandise, for that matter. I'd like to know how much they've made off the deaths of 3,000.

6. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Mustang - You're probably right about the 99 percent for Fordson. For the entire school district, it's coming close to a 50-50 split between Arab and non-Arab. The district has to factor in Christian and Muslim holidays when deciding its school-year calendar.

My daughter has her first three classes at Edsel Ford and her second three classes at a math-science-technology school that draws from all three high schools in the district. When the Edsel kids told the Fordson kids about the sweatshirts, they were stunned that someone would do that. The Edsel kids were joking that they're all now on the "no-fly" list (but, hey, we're all in Detroit Metro Airport's flight path). My daughter also said that she now doesn't want to wear the Edsel hoodie she got for Christmas from her great-grandmother because she'll be asked to turn around to see what's on the back (it's blank).

And, to answer your question Tap, these kids did this on their own over the Christmas break. No school employees knew about it beforehand - especially the principal, who is Arabic (and probably is wondering why the hell he accepted this job).

7. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

An interesting side note: Fordson's principal is a cousin of the spiritual leader of Hezbollah.

Draft saved Draft deleted