1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Realistically, what's the highest USF can finish?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 7, 2007.

1. 400 verbal. 350 math.
    (/n. saban)

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Just don't wonder why SJ subs are up to $23,000/yr come the new year.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Hell no, it's not.

But the standards in the Big East are even lower. It is what it is, my friend.

4. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

One of the biggest test for that USF team is going to be its two-week swing to the northeast for a game against Rutgers and then a game against UConn. I don't know that the games are going to be that close, but if Florida Atlantic can play fundamentally-sound football and force turnovers - something the other two can do - and it's cold in a pair of night games, the Bulls might be a little off balance. It's going to be a battle for the rest of the season for Grothe & Co.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That UConn game caught my eye too, Eagle. And you're dead-on about cold-weather games. USF won't run the table, but it's a great story. And what a lottery ticket for the school this silly new football program has become.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Jim Leavitt knows damn well that, as it stands now, when South Florida builds its own stadium (and they will. They'e gonna get tired of the Bucs taking all of the parking and concessions money that could be going to funding their athletics budget) That stadium is gonna named "Jim Leavitt Field at Insert Corporate Bullshit Here Stadium." Will Nick Saban's name be on any stadiums? How about Dennis Erickson? Why would he leave that? He's got job security right now that others (hi, Wannstedt!) could only dream of. Plus, I'm pretty certain that USF has signed him to a pretty damn nice deal within the past three years.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I wish you were right, but people have been throwing that scenario out for years and nothing changes. Not Utah, not Boise State. No one.

8. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

The difference, of course, being that neither Utah nor Boise State were in a BCS conference when they went unbeaten.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

If USF is one of only two unbeatens at the end of the year (and they won't be), then they deserve to go to the championship game, and I don't think that will create a huge furor and demand for a playoff mandate.

In my view, the scenario that better supports the need for a playoff is if no one is undefeated. If the year ends with six or eight teams all with 1 loss, how can you legitimately decide which two play for the title?

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The Bulls are highly unlikely to build their own stadium. There's practically nowhere to put it on or near campus, and Leavitt calls Raymond James Stadium one of his best recruiting tools.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I wonder if FSU would ever look at him when and if Bowden ever retires/dies.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Here's hoping for a Bulls-Jayhawks national title game.

Draft saved Draft deleted