1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Realistically, what's the highest USF can finish?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 7, 2007.

1. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

He'll be at South Florida.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I concur with GB. He'll be at USF. He hasn't left for bigger programs yet, so why would he now? He can keep on building there, and he can take all the best Florida prep players that can't academically qualify for the SEC and ACC (unless the Big East raises its academic standards, but seeing where West Virginia and USF have gotten by taking advantage of them, I can't' see that happening).

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

The Big East actually raised its standards in regards to non-qualifiers and partial-qualifiers a couple years ago. It no longer allows straight-up non-qualifiers and I think there's a limit on partials of like 2 per year.

4. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

you're right on that doh

and i love the 'i hope it messes up so there has to be a playoff' talk -- if usf is undefeated and one of only one or two unbeaten bcs teams, they'll be in the championship game.

and leavitt will be at usf next year

5. I would expect teams to make a run at Leavitt the way they did after Urban Meyer a few years back. I know he wisely turned down a chance to interview at Bama probably because he knows there's no job security with the crazies at that place.

Unless USF comes up with about $2 mil a year, I'm guessing he'll be elsewhere next season.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He stays in the top 10 all year, USF will come up with the money.

7. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

To be clear, I'm not saying the Big East is full of stupid players who couldn't get into other places.

It's just that some of the best players on those teams were guys who couldn't get into other places.

To be fair, those coaches have also done a great job evaluating talent and developing good football players in sound systems ... but the elephant in the corner is that some of their players couldn't get into other places. Louisville, West Virginia and USF have a few of those guys.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, and the SEC is a shining beacon of student-athletes.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Name me a school that doesn't.
    A school I know well put a 3.4/1200 SAT (old system) on the wait list. A 2.4/900 football player got in the door. Any school that says it doesn't make exceptions for athletes is lying.

And you know what? As the parent of two college-aged or above kids who are not athletes, I don't mind it so much. They can lower the standards some, as long as they don't lower the requirements. Same school above told a very good athlete no thanks because he refused to take a third math. Sorry, you have to have three maths. Same as everyone else.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I have a really good source that told me he turned down close to $2 million from Kansas State after Bill Snyder retired. He's a Tampa guy and I think he actually wants to stay. He'll get a raise and I'm sure all his assistants will too.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Oh, and I can't wait until next year when Kansas goes to South Florida for a rematch of the BCS title game.

12. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You are dead on here, Jake.

Draft saved Draft deleted