1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real Wrestling, Real Story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by heyabbott, Mar 21, 2016.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

False.

2. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

We cross country runners shared a mutual respect with our wrestling brethren, if not the ringworm infections.

Liut and Ace like this.
  3. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Watched a replay. Boring. Oversold.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I played soccer in the fall in high school (late 1970's/early 80's). It was considered a "gay" sport by football players back then.

It was fun to see some of those football players try out for wrestling in the winter. I loved hearing the excuses why they quit the team while the soccer player continued to wrestle.

Our coach is still there today, and is in the Maryland High School wrestling hall of fame as a coach. When I wrestled, even the best Maryland hs teams couldn't compete against even mediocre Pennsylvania teams.

I see the results today, and I cannot believe what I read. North Hagerstown High has turned into a state power, and plows through much of the Pennsylvania competition.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

All due respect, but I don't see how anyone can watch that match and say it was boring and oversold.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I always found wrestling to be a great sport to photograph. I could get up close near the mat, and have no face masks or anything to prevent me for capturing some great facial expressions.

Liut likes this.
  7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

It was mostly true in our school. I feared for the backboards during the basketball portion of gym class when the grapplers would launch their two-handed set shots from above their head at 100 mph or a one-handed shot put. An exception though was one of the best wrestlers in school history who would have been an awesome point guard. He was really tough when they'd play in the summer and basketball was a favorite sport of his. The problem? His dad was the wrestling coach -- a very intense wrestling coach, one of the best in Minnesota, a state that takes wrestling very seriously. Choosing to be a pumpkin pusher simply wasn't allowed.

It was also interesting when you'd see a generational change. Best basketball player in school history came from a wrestling family; his dad and uncles were all wrestlers. It seems like you usually see kids whose parents were wrestlers take up hoops instead of the other way around, but there were also a few cases where a longtime basketball family suddenly produced a wrestler. Think it always took the dads a bit of time to adjust, both ways.

8. I think it's among the worst, toughest .. because there is almost no way to make it non-homoerotic.

That explains a lot Baron. A lot ... ;)
    #notthattheresanythingwrongwiththat

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

In the same way that photographing volleyball makes you'll all pervy and frustrated?

Smallpotatoes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted