1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real Sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Jun 26, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Overall, a very interesting set of stories. But at the beginning of the softball story, they say that it will be "the first sport to be eliminated from the (Olympic) games in more than 70 years." Uh, what happened to baseball? And later in the story, they mention how baseball was no longer an Olympic sport.

The horse-breeding story was bizarre.

2. I thought baseball and softball were being eliminated after this Olympics.

3. ondeadline

Softball is out after this year, but baseball already is out.

4. Baseball is listed on the Beijing program.

http://en.beijing2008.cn/cptvenues/sports/baseball/index.shtml

5. ondeadline

Yeah, you're right. Baseball is in the same boat as softball: Out after this year.

6. I think it's stupid that both sports are going to be out. I'm sure if some other country besides the U.S. was winning multiiple softball golds, that wouldn't be the case.

Meanwhile, fencing and modern pentathlon continue.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I never understood that. Why they would get rid of baseball and softball in favor of sports such as synchronized diving and BMX and marathon swimming, I'll never understand.

Hell, I still don't understand why golf isn't in there, either.

8. ondeadline

Some softball officials are saying that their sport was unfairly paired with baseball and all of its issues about drug testing and the fact that the best players weren't playing in the Olympics.

Softball is out, but beach volleyball remains? That's BS.

I never cared about baseball in the Olympics. My favorite Olympic sports are the ones in which a gold medal is the pinnacle of the sport. I love baseball, but not in the Olympics.

9. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

I heard the biggest reason behind eliminating baseball and softball is money. Host countries don't want to build a one-use facility (i.e. a baseball diamond/stadium) — especially in countries where baseball is a long way down the pecking order of sports.

If I'm not mistaken, Athens built one and turned around and tore it down, like, the next week.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Yes, that's it. Johnny Foreigner hates you and the sports you play.

11. You really believe that had nothing to do with it?

12. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Why?

Middle initial: Dubya

Draft saved Draft deleted