1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Real nice, Deadspin.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MertWindu, Jul 20, 2007.

1. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

I'm not a blogs-hater, and maybe I'm just being a little oversensitive (though after having one of my HS classmates die of a brain aneurysm in 8th grade, I think I have some justification), but isn't this a little fucking wrong?

http://deadspin.com/sports/ads-ads-everywhere/slap-some-logos-on-those-journalists-they-like-it-280396.php

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Nah, you're right. On the Gammons' part that is fucked up. I have known 2 people who have died of aneurysms and it is not a good way to go. It is fucked up for the person and the family and friends.

3. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Yeah...it's tasteless.

I think it'd be hard to constantly try to be edgy while not going too far.

4. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Maybe, but I don't think the line is that unclear. Make fun of Marv Albert, who screwed up in an immoral way: Edgy, if a little stale. Make fun of a guy who was almost killed by an often undetectable health problem: Too far.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

That's very true in this case. I'm thinking more in general terms, though.

6. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Fair enough.

7. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

This discussion is taking place on a board where some members made fun of former Pittsburgh Steelers lineman Steve Courson hours after he died when a tree he was cutting fell on him. People who objected were told to lighten up. One person's notion of distasteful is another person's idea of hilarity.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I'd put that on par with the Kurt Cobain ad PETA ran several years back.

9. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

The Onion ran a photo of Coast Guard officials searching Lake Ponchartrain for the body of Marquise Hill. The headline was something like: Bill Belichick finds new and interesting ways to cut players. The Onion later replaced the photo with one of Belichick.

10. Looking at some of the taseless comments, Tom Mees sponsored by water wings. The guy who wrote that needs to be friggen drowned.

11. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

That was funny I thought. It's not like Cobain unsuspectedly blew his head off. Bad taste on Gammons and Mees. And yes, i think I made up a new word with unsuspectedly.

12. Kent_Dorfman

Kent_Dorfman Member

Will Leitch is a Cardinals' fan, and when Josh Hancock plowed into the towtruck, Will wrote about meeting Josh's family on a trip to St. Louis a few weeks before, and the "edgy" commenters laid off. Even after Hancock's family sued everybody in Illinois or Missouri who even thought about getting on the highway that night.

Draft saved Draft deleted