1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reader's Digest?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Flying Headbutt, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I got an offer to subscribe to them today for just $10 a year. I honestly didn't know they were even around anymore, but then again I'm sure I'd have heard a big story if they had gone under. All I know is my grandparents got that magazine 15-20 years ago. Are they still even worth getting anymore?

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Was it ever worth getting?

3. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Humor In Uniform is worth at least 83 cents a month.

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I think that, for $10 a year, it's more than worth it. My in-laws get it, so I've read it on a semi-regular basis for a while. There's always a good selection of interesting reads in addition to the staples of funny jokes and anecdotes.

Heck, I even subscribed to ESPN the magazine for $10 for one year (half the reason, though, was to get the access to the "insider" content on espn.com.)

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I liked Reader's Digest for when I was coloring my hair and I had to sit in the bathtub for 25 minutes. I skim the jokes, read the marital discord story (if they still have those, I read my mom's when I lived in the same state).

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The Word Power quiz is always fun to take (for a journo, it should be a piece of cake), and the different anecdote packages have some good stuff. The articles are generally too righty for my taste.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

RD isn't as overtly-right as it used to be . . . but righty, it most-certainly is . . . their article
    selection is anything but middle-of-the-road . . . I've met some of their higher-ups . . .
    and none of them will ever be confused with any MOR Dems . . .

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does RD still produce those volumes of condensed books?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I would drop the $10 you're considering on RD on Esquire or some other magazine. But that's just me.

10. tommyp

tommyp Member

Other than Uncle John, probably the best bathroom read out there.

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I could never get enough of "I'm Joe's Liver."

YHS, etc

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I got sticker shock yesterday when I saw a Newsweek on someone's desk in the office and the cover price was $4.95.

Draft saved Draft deleted