1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reader contests?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by flexmaster33, Aug 22, 2018.

1. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

Hi all, just putting a feeler out there to see if others are still able to run 'reader-based' contests?

I grew up with them both in our major state paper and in our local community paper and always took part. I remember clipping out my football picks and riding my bike to the downtown office near the city park to drop of entries for my dad and I.

I've worked to bring those opportunities to the community paper that I work for. It seems the ad department has struggled to sell them in recent years, but we power on and offer whatever meager prizes we can muster.

I run a 'Just for fun' NFL Fantasy Football League (just had the draft tonight), and we do a college/NFL football pick'em in the fall, too. (I've opted to not include high school picks years ago...lol).

We also run a popular March Madness bracket contest each March.

These have all gone to online-exclusive formats in recent years.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

We run a football picks contest every year. Still get incredibly high participation. Ad department loves it --- it's an easy sell because the interest is so widespread and strong. I'd encourage any paper without one to start one. I started one when I was at a small daily 28 years ago. It kicked ass and the publisher and advertising people loved me. It still runs today.

3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Have a contest to be a volunteer copy editor for a day. But you'll have to tell the English teachers it's triage, not surgery.

4. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

That's the crazy part...I thought these would be easy sells too, but our ad department says it's a struggle.

5. studthug12

studthug12 Active Member

Frederick says the ad departments hires incompetent folks so this shouldn't be a surprise ;)

justgladtobehere likes this.
  6. Severian

Severian Well-Known Member

This seems like a way to overwhelm anyone who thinks they can copy edit the paper correctly. However, if a reader does a better job than the copy editors on staff, hire him or her.

spikechiquet likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted