1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Read aloud day at an elementary school

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Feb 16, 2007.

1. Dirk Legume

Dirk Legume Active Member

I go to at least two schools to do this every year. Dr. Seuss' birthday is right around the beginning of March and a lot of schools do a "literacy day" or something similar.

You'll probably get about 20 minutes. You don't have to finish the book, so read what you want. The key is to make it fun for them. Try to get them involved. You can always offer to come back and read more later.

Expect to get a lot of questions about your job. Please treat them seriously. I remember asking questions when I was in 4th or fifth grade and getting blown off.

I am 43 and I still remember that.

2. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Curious George, probably too easy for third or fourth graders, but I loved reading them to my son.

And Harry the Lady Next Door, and the other books about that crazy dog.

We also got a dumbed-down version of the classics, Like Red Badge of Courage, the Count of Monte Cristo, Tom Sawyer, etc. Easy to read and easy to get the basic story.

A lot of athletes at the local U participate in this every year.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

How about Choose Your Own Adventure Books? Everybody loves those ...

[​IMG]

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Here's another. Adventure? Yes. But also a good lesson in the sanctity of life ...

[​IMG]

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Good call KY. I LOVED The Boxcar Children. I was also reading The Babysitters Club at that time. I wonder if those are still around...

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yes. My sister loved the books and used to read at least one a week when she was that age. She still reads them today...

I could never get enough of Boxcar Children. I never read any of the Hardy Boys series because I was always too busy reading Boxcar Children. I read one of those every day it seemed like.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I was the same with the Babysitters club. I was always tired at school because I'd read at night and never quit when I should have.

The only books that took longer than a day or two was the Babysitters Club super special thick books.

Draft saved Draft deleted