1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reaction to TSA pat down of child gets mom arrested

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by prettyB, Jul 20, 2011.

1. prettyB

prettyB New Member

A TN female was arrested Saturday when she objected to a TSA pat down of her child. The female was detained for disorderly conduct after she grew to be belligerent. Last month, the Transportation Security Administration altered its policy on pat downs of children. This incident comes after that policy change.

Becoming voca

Andrea Fornella Abbott, 41, of Clarkesville, Tenn., was detained Saturday at the Nashville International Airport. The female and her daughter were going to Baltimore while getting on a Southwest Airlines flight. After a Transportation Security Administration agent tried to pat Abbott's child down, she grew to be vocal.

Not acting right

Airport officer Sabrina Birge reported to police that Abbot told her "in a very stern voice with quite a bit of attitude" that she and her child weren't going through the x-ray. Birge responded to this. She said "it is 10,000 times safer than your mobile phone and utilizes the same type of radio waves as a sonogram."

Abbott supposedly answered. She said, "I still don't want somebody to see our bodies naked."

Arrested for disorderly conduct

There were many concerns Abbott had. She yelled that she didn't want her child to be "touched inappropriately or have her crotch grabbed." She was arrested for disorderly conduct and was taken prisoner when she would not let down and spoke inappropriately.

Abbott tried to take video of the incident with her cell phone, but she was imprisoned before she could record anything. Abbott was later released on bond.

Policy for kids recently amended

After a 6-year-old girl pat down was put online in April at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, the TSA changed its children policy. There will be several ways of screening kids. This will make it so pat downs aren't necessary on kids anymore.

Other objections

Many do not like the TSA pat down which means many have complained publicly this year. Last Dec. Khloe Kardashian likened the procedure to rape. Susie Castillo, a previous beauty queen, released a distraught video after a pat down at the Dallas-Fort Worth Airport. Last month an elderly cancer patient was made to remove her adult diaper for Transportation Security Administration authorities. The TSA was accused of racism earlier this month. This was because a woman in Seattle's curly hair was inspected.

Information from

UPI

upi.com/Top_News/US/2011/07/13/Mother-arrested-over-patdown-of-daughter/UPI-39571310573252/?spt=hs&or=tn

Daily Mail

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2014331/Mother-attitude-arrested-refusing-TSA-pat-daughter.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

AOL Travel

news.travel.aol.com/2011/07/13/mom-arrested-for-yelling-at-tsa-over-daughters-patdown/?icid=maing-grid7|maing9|dl9|sec1_lnk2|77630

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Thanks d_b.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't see why they need to arrest people over stuff like this. Just tell them they ain't getting on a plane and take them away.

4. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I've gone through the X-ray a couple times. I'd have no problem with my 7-year-old going through the X-ray.

That said, I can see where a parent -- especially one who's an inexperienced traveler -- would take issue with this.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

What would have happened if the woman had allowed the pat-down and then called 911 to report the TSA agent sexually molested her child?

6. printdust

printdust New Member

That's fair enough.

Meanwhile, a Muslim male, 24, walks right through with no more than a "have a good flight." Again, that's what makes this whole security process ludicrous.

Draft saved Draft deleted