1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ray Scott, why was he fired?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Upper Tupper, Nov 11, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

LMFAO.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

That was damn funny (although I wonder if the call actually would have been "Oswald, Kennedy, dead."

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

As compared to Brent Musburger:

You are looking live at Dealey Plaza. In a few minutes the presidential motorcade will be passing through. JFK JACKIE O AND BIG JOHN ALL HERE ON CBS.

There is Lee Harvey Oswald getting ready. He is loading his big Mannlicher-Carcano rifle. Here comes the motorcade

Bang! It's on its way . . . and its good! And now, with the presidency on the line in Dallas, Lee Harvey Oswald hits his target from 200 yards And the young man from New Orleans , with steady hand and sharp eye sends LBJ to Washington. What a shot under pressure with thousands watching. We'll be right back.

4. Both of these assume facts not in evidence.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

One of my friends does a perfect Jack Buck announcing the Oswald killing

"And Jack Ruby comes in from the left AND DOWN GOES OSWALD!"

6. That's pretty good, actually.
    I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST SAW!
    Of course, Joe Buck would have just gone on talking about the new Fox fall lineup.

7. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

I loved Scott's football work, but I'm having trouble picturing him on baseball.

"Pascual . . . Battey . . . Strike."

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I like the sparseness of words in baseball broadcasts. Always liked listening to Ned Martin

Palmer * Rice * West bound Mass Pike * Mercy

9. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

"Hank, what about that?"

10. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I have an original broadcast of the '70 NFC Championship between the 49ers and Cowboys. Ray Scott and Pat Summerall did the announcing.

Scott is very matter-of-fact and tells it like it is (not in the same way Cosell did). The end was definitely near with this type of broadcasting though. I think Cosell-Gifford-Meredith (later Karras) changed the entire way games were broadcast.

(edit for the next part)
    This is an example of a near-fumbled punt early in the third quarter:

"Great punt. Bruce Taylor at the 16. 20. That's all. And again, the Cowboys covered that punt beautifully. With the score Cowboys 3 and the 49ers 3, let's pause for a moment."

I could only imagine Sam Rosen doing that same play.

"Gets the punt off. AND OH MY GOD HE DROPPED IT! No, he PICKED IT UP! And he GAINED FOUR YARDS! OH BEAUTIFUL RETURN. We're still TIED. TONIGHT on the Simpsons, Homer....drinks a lot of BEER!"

11. markvid

markvid Guest

And not necessarily for the better.

12. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

TV's changed a lot since that game. About the only similarity is that Summerall is still around, doing commercials. They didn't even have player ID graphics.

Draft saved Draft deleted