1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ray Guy's best chance to make the Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Della9250, Aug 22, 2013.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What a ridiculous argument. Now we are using the how many rings bullshit with punters.

2. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Guy was a significant offensive weapon in that his punting changed field position many times. He was a major factor in the Raiders' success.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

In the third Super Bowl win, he made a play that arguably, was more important than Marcus Allen's TD run, when he caught an errant snap one-handed and got the ball away. Raiders were only up 7-0 at the time.

[​IMG]

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

David Tyree hall of famer.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

It's not just the three rings. Guy made 7 Pro Bowls, was 6-time first team All-Pro, was on the NFL's 75th anniversary team and the 70s all-decade team.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The fact that this myth actually gets repeated, is exactly what I was talking about earlier on the thread. There is all this BS about Ray Guy that now passes as fact, when it is just the myth of Ray Guy. I have heard that "never had a punt returned" repeated many times. I think John Madden actually repeats it. The problem is, it isn't true,

Ray Guy had punts returned for touchdowns. At the least: 1979, JT Smith of KC took one back for 88 yards in week 4 and twice in 1983, Zach Thomas, Denver 70 yards in week 4 and Paul Johns, Seattle, 75 yards in week 7.

I am sure there were other times.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Which goes back to my point. The legend of Ray Guy probably deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. The real player? Not so much.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

How many times did you watch him play?

You're acting like the guy's career was imagined. I have no idea if Guy should be enshrined in Canton, but it sure seems like a lot of people think he's the best punter to ever play in the NFL. These are probably the same people who haven't voted him into Canton when he's been a finalist, so to say that everyone has some kind of agenda to trump up the guy's career seems paranoid and absurd.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Yes, let's compare a 7-time Pro Bowler to a guy who did a pretty good job covering kicks for three years and had 54 career catches. Brilliant.

10. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Was Ray Guy a good tackler? I ask this seriously.

A lot is made of his athleticism and he was a starting safety in college. To a modern reviewer that sounds amazing because punters now are mainly just punters with no other football skills (except holding extra points) . As said earlier, White and McNally were punters who also played other positions in the same era as Guy. So, really, a punter with other skills was not so unusual.

I've always assumed he must have been a good last line defender for the Raiders because he has played safety, but have never actually heard it brought up. Anyone know? Anyone remember?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I didn't say his career was imagined. I'm saying it has been enhanced by imagination and legend. Nobody is presenting numbers to back up their claims about his legendary hang time. This idea that he never had a punt returned for a touchdown against him is at best, in dispute.

I watched Guy play plenty. Much of his career fell into my formative years as a football junkie. Sorry, but eyeball tests alone aren't good enough and the numbers don't support his legend.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I would argue that Danny White did more to help his teams win throughout his career than Guy did. I'm not about to suggest White belongs in the HOF.

Draft saved Draft deleted