1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rare Babe Ruth footage from 1927 found in Illinois cellar

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Shows Ruth and Gehrig in Iowa during a 1927 barnstorming tour. There's a link to part of the film in the story:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/23/sports/baseball/23ruth.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Pretty cool, because according to the story, Major League Baseball has less than an hour of Ruth film in its archives.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm surprised the film is still useable after all these years given where it was stored.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Looking at the photo, I just find it funny how the two women are looking at the Babe. Maybe there was something going on there ...."

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

What, Babe fool around on the road? Unpossible. Of course, Gehrig's in the movie, too. Now THAT would be some revisionist baseball history.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Wasn't there some sort of urban legend that Gehrig's wife, while on the ship to Japan in the 1930s for another barnstorming trip, had a threesome with the Babe and his wife?

Supposedly, that was one of the reasons why the Lou/Babe friendship cooled.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That has to be an urban legend. Way back when I was a little kid, my parents went on a cruise and one of the people at their table for dinner each night was Mrs. Gehrig. My parents reported she loathed Babe, but not as much as she hated each and every Mrs. Ruth.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Did your dad drop his fork and fumble for it, and then trip, at which point Eleanor Gehrig started yelling, "Tanglefoot! Tanglefoot!"?

8. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

At first glance, it appears one of the woman is wearing a very, very low cut top. It sadly, is just a very pale shirt.

9. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I hope the video didn't get ruined in the tsunami.

10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Good Lord.

If it's ever authenticated, it would be worth millions.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Illmago weeps.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Are these talkies or silent?

Draft saved Draft deleted