1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape, Justice and the New York Times

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by busuncle, Oct 12, 2006.

1. busuncle

busuncle Member

NY Magazine on the NYT's coverage of the Duke lacrosse case

http://nymag.com/news/imperialcity/22337/index.html

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Paging Mr. J. Whitlock.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I've read the Times articles, Newsweek, North Carolina media coverage and now this, and I can safely offer this speculation: someone with a law degree from the Martinique School of Law and Bartending who practices for the firm of Hack, Crook and Leech, could get these kids off. As a matter of fact, if I'm the parent of one of these kids, I'm on the verge of firing their lawyers because they haven't gotten the charges dropped already.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Hell with these guys. If they aren't guilty of raping that woman, I'm sure they are guilty of something else.

String 'em up, I say.

5. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I'm not impressed by this piece. Andersen doesn't exactly dissect the NYT's coverage and provide smoking guns, he quotes some anonymous staffers as saying, rather unspecifically, that they disagree with the coverage. In a newsroom of more than 1,000, I would be concerned if you found unanimity on any story. I'm neither defending nor attacking the NYT's coverage. I'm just saying it doesn't appear Andersen works very hard for the several hundred grand New York Mag reportedly pays him to write a media column.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

the duke lax players are scummy, no doubt.

but i thought the piece was strong. for the ny times to once again be caught being so explicitly shoddy should be a concern to us all, not just those at the once-geat gray lady. if the standard for newspaper excellence keeps getting suckered like this, it's not good at all for our dying breed.

7. basically i said the same thing (on this message board) about the ny times story in question. the story was total b.s.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

End the thread. Let the kids go. Lock the stripper/hooker up. Disbar the prosecutor. Fold the Times into Newsday. The Great Oz has spoken.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Well, Mr. Smary Pants, at least Jason didn't use as many $2 words in his critique of the situation as Kurt Andersen did.

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Are they rich prick douche bags? Sure. But unfortunately for you and your sense of justice, there aren't any criminal penalties for "something else."

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Kurt was great at Spy.

Hasn't been great, since.

Draft saved Draft deleted