1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ranking the "Original Six"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 16, 2015.

1. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Think the NY Daily News or Post said TB was the first to win 3 straight series against O6 teams.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes, my biases show, but Toronto is #3.

Yes, the Leafs have been mediocre for a good chunk of time but before the recent reincarnation of the Hawks, they were irrelevant for most of their time in the league.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's going a little far, I think. They went to the Finals twice in the '70s, again in the '90s, and were solid during the entire '80s and '90s. They had a bad decade.

EDIT: It looks like they were pretty bad in the '40s and '50s, too. My knowledge kind of picks up where my dad and uncles started watching, in the Hull-Mikita years when they were perennial Cup contenders.

I understand the argument: If you're going to ding Toronto for winning when there were only six teams, don't you have to ding Chicago for losing when there were only six teams?

Ultimately, though, I would weigh expansion era success higher. It's just harder to be good.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  4. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I hated that little bastard Denis Savard with his stupid mustache and cute little spin-o-rama. I would have hated him even more if the Habs didn't fuck up and had taken him at #1 instead of Doug Wickenheiser.

Now I see him doing commercials for anti-shingle cream or whatever and that makes me smile.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

From 1942 through 67, it was really a three-team league: Maple Leafs, Canadiens and Red Wings: During those 26 seasons, they won 25 cups with the Blackhawks the sole exception in 1961. In addition, those three made up 42 of the 52 finals participants during that time.

In comparison from 1927 (the year the NHL took full ownership) through 41, it was a more even league (and mostly an eight team league), and the Big Three won five cups in 15 years, and made 13 out of of 30 Cup appearances. The Bottom Three: Rangers, Hawks, Bruins, won seven cups and made 14 appearances. The Maroons and the original Senators made three finals and won two.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

One other factor is that when we're talking about franchise dominance, in the old days, there just weren't as many teams as there is now, so it was easier for these franchises to dominate.

Yankees only had seven other teams to beat out to make the World Series. Canadiens had five other teams to beat out for the Cup. The Russell-era Celtics had, what, maybe 10 other teams?

Compared to today, when there are 20+ teams, so there's much more competition for the title.

7. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Agree on Lindsay. If Sid Abel is there, Lindsay has to be, too.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Baun would be on the Seals' list, too. Off the top of my head, I cannot think of anyone else who would top their list.

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Teeder Kennedy (JR saw him play in peewee), Doug Gilmour and Frank Mahovlich for the Leafs.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Cleveland will always have Dennis Maruk.

11. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Carol Vadnais?

12. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Gilles Meloche?

Draft saved Draft deleted