1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rank the NFL coaches 1-32

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 9, 2010.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

McDaniels is too high on that list.

2. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I was going to write something else, but this sums it up. Do this poll when the Saints were 6-10 a couple years or ago, or 7-9 or whatever they were. I bet Payton would come out 24th and not 4th.

With a few exceptions, I think most NFL coaches know how to coach football. It's really about matching personnel to his philosophy, and a lot of coaches have limited say in doing that. After that, it's how well that group responds to him. One coach may be able to take one group to the playoffs, but he may not be able to get another group motivated enough to give a shit. And I think usually, a coach has about a 4-5 year window where if he hasn't won a championship in that time frame, his players start to grow tired of him. It's a tough gig, that's for sure.

3. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

I think Childress is an awful coach. I would put him somewhere in the bottom 10ish. I think he's worse than Lovie Smith. I love Singletary, I think once he gets a little more talent he could be a great coach. But if you're giving me the same roster and asking if I want Childress or Singletary, I'm taking Singletary without blinking.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

/signed

5. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

in a way yeah, in a way no. he's won 2 Super Bowls and has been gone a year. aside from the top guy the other coaches with multi Super Bowls are not coaching. it's kind of hard to even do the rankings now, it would've been more accurate to do them based on the guys who coached in the 09 season. what if Wash is 7-9 or 6-10 next year does Shanahan still deserve to be that high?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think it's interesting how many mediocre coaches there are.

Only five of those coaches have won Super Bowls and there's only one or two who are considered "great" coaches and both seem to be past their prime.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I didn't think I could justify putting him No. 3, even though Fisher hasn't won anything. How can you put Shanahan behind Andy Reid, who is a good coach, but also hasn't won anything.

There's a reason that a lot of the coaches who have left the game are taking their sweet time coming back or aren't doing it at all.

8. IllMil

IllMil Active Member

There are only so many Super Bowls to go around ... I mean how many have been played since a lot of these guys started coaching? It's not like more than one of them can add a championship in a season.

Also, for perspective, there is an understandable Sean Payton love fest right now. If you asked who is a better coach, Payton or McCarthy, I think the choice among most is pretty clear. Not that I disagree, but look at the numbers.

McCarthy is 38-26
    Payton is 38-26

McCarthy (1-2) has two playoff appearances and an overtime loss in the NFC Championship.

Payton (4-1) has two playoff appearances, a loss in the NFC Championship in one of the worst years for the NFC I have ever seen - the Saints were 10-6 and seeded #2, and this year's championship win. I think it's obvious the Saints were a way more complete team than the Packers this year.

It is easy to say McCarthy stepped into a good situation, but he took over a 4-12 team and got them a game from the Super Bowl two years later. He has also led the transition from Favre to Rodgers which really could not be going any better for the Packers.

I think Payton is damn good coach, he has bigger balls than McCarthy and manages games better. But prior to this Super Bowl run they had the exact same regular season record (38-26) and the exact same playoff record (1-1). I'm just trying to show how quickly perspective changes on this kind of thing.

9. GoochMan

GoochMan Active Member

Payton was on the hot seat entering this year. That's another example of how quick things can change.
    Kudos to him, though, on making the biggest move--fixing that atrocious defense--and giving up 250 grand of his own money to do it. A decent defense puts the Saints in the playoffs every year since '06.
    I think Payton has been a great play-caller for years, but it took awhile for him to really learn how to be a great head coach. This year, with the pressure on, he aced the test.

10. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

if that's the logic then how does Ryan go ahead of Coughlin

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

50. Tom Cable

12. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

McDipshit has taken a torch to that organization and its fan base, should be bottom two.

Draft saved Draft deleted