1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Randy Edsall=douchebag

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Chase, Feb 19, 2012.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Probably. He brought them to Div 1-A, and even won some games those first few years. Then when they jumped to the Big East, they made a bowl game the first year, and within a few years he was consistently winning 8 or 9 games a season. It's more than anyone could have hoped for from UConn. He may have been a dick the whole time. But winning is the great equalizer for a dick coach.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

No one noticed until his departure. In fairness he actually did a good job in Conn and also received favorable press for the way he handled team after stabbing.

It was a good situation for him because expectations were low.

He came into Maryland with high expectations and many disappointed that Leach did not get the job.

3. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Yeah, the whole thing about trees falling in forests and such ...

But seriously, based on the shitty way Edsall left UConn 30 seconds after the Fiesta Bowl, I'd say it's pretty likely he was a dick long before he arrived in College Park.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

This line from Sally Jenkins column, though, about him is one of my favorite lines of the last year....

Randy Edsall doesn’t like comparisons. When people make comparisons, they start noticing that I went 1-16 against top 25 teams at U-Conn. and never beat a school that finished the season ranked by the Associated Press. But check out my record against hats worn by my players indoors: undefeated.

5. Boom_70

Likely accurate but no one noticed. I live in the state and no one really takes U Conn football that seriously.

6. Boom_70

When U Conn played up at Syracuse they played without helmets?

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

In all fairness, when UConn made the jump, no one was measuring them by wins against top 25 teams. It was more like, "Wow, they are actually winning some games." He did more than anyone would have expected with UConn. It's not exactly an easy sell. A relatively new D-I program in Storrs, Connecticut. And their move to the Big East got bumped up a year on him, and he still made a bowl game that first year. He did well.

The Big East affiliation helped him build the program even further, and if he had stayed longer, then theexpectations would have ramped up to where those kinds of questions about his record against good teams might have surfaced.

But he was still in that "He pulled off a miracle by putting UConn on the map," place, even when he left for Maryland.

8. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I used to like to mention Edsall's from our general area. Not so much anymore.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I am not sure how Edsall making it to a BCS bowl was so much of an accomplishment. There are several conferences who are just flat out horrible football conferences (I'm looking at you, Big East and ACC). Maybe a decade ago, it was a big deal. Now? Not so much.

10. Hokie_pokie

Hokie_pokie Well-Known Member

Edsall didn't start winning consistently at UConn until after VT, Miami and BC left the Big East for the ACC.

Apparently, winning consistently in a league with one good team (WVU), one decent team (Pitt) and a bunch of total crapola was good enough to impress Maryland's genius AD.

11. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Now, Hokie, c'mon. Credentials like that have gotten coaches better jobs in a lot more places than Maryland.

12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Yep.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120222/SPORTS0602/120222007/Randy-Edsall-frees-Maryland-QB-Danny-O-Brien-transfer-Vanderbilt?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|FRONTPAGE

Zags will be comparing his stats to Cutler's any minute now.

Draft saved Draft deleted