1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random trip to Toronto

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've been to LA three times and I don't know if I've seen traffic as bad there as you see at pretty much anytime on the 401 from the airport to the 400 exit.

The QEW is also a parking lot at times, but is always a mess near the Ford plant in Oakville.

Glad you liked the Embassy stout. I had it for the first time last Monday night when the wife and I ate there before heading up to Massey Hall to see Crowded House. Excellent brew.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Getting in and out of Toronto in the summer on the QEW is a pain in the ass. Problem is, it's the only way of getting to the border.

You had nice weather.

3. BRoth

BRoth Member

Honestly, the weather couldn't have been better. We spent most of Saturday walking outside after the Science Center.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Did you make the Jays game?

5. how'd you like the science centre? i always get a kick out of it

6. BRoth

BRoth Member

We didn't go to the Jays game because we wanted to go to the Science Cent(re/re) and it wouldn't have worked out otherwise. At least we've both been to the SkyDome ... Rogers Cent(re/er) before.

The Science (building, to avoid more international style comparisons) was a good time. We both felt like we would've had more fun if we were little kids, but it was still a good time. We tried out the "aging machine" they have there, which was fun. But, all it did was make us look fat. Oddly enough, it only morphed the bottom half of my face, so that was interesting.

The most compelling part of the science trip was the enormous of adolescent girls dressed oddly for such a place. I have never seen so many short skirts and low-cut shirts at an academic-inspired place since last spring semester. Other than that, no complaints.

We spent a good chunk of time at the Eaton Mall, too. Mostly because the lady friend had to get her shopping fix. So I stood outside various stores with other guys sharing glances of "what the hell do we do now?" It was actually pretty funny because we don't have a comparable mall of that size and the sheer number of men in my boat was laughably entertaining. Especially since we all seemed to congregate at the same place.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

BRoth, repeat after me: Rogers Centre, Science Centre, Eaton Centre.

Now, that wasn't hard, was it? :)

8. BRoth

BRoth Member

In my hometown there was a shopping plaza known as Town and Country Plaza which later in my childhood became The Centre.

Honestly, I've never been able to get over it.

9. patchs

patchs Active Member

God I hate QEW traffic, and I don't even live in Toronto.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Man, I've been there. Back in the day there was a great pub in the mall called the Elephant and Castle where I would wait while the wife/girlfriend shopped. Plenty of other guys had the same idea. It's not there anymore (moved to King St. somewhere) but it was the first licensed establishment I'd ever been served in. I went there on June 11, 1982 with my old man. We were meeting his brother in there before going to see Holmes-Cooney on closed circuit at Maple Leaf Gardens.

11. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Guess who's come back safely just now to Hali from T.O?

I just got into work from the airport. Man, I had a great time in Toronto and too much fun (paying for it this morning, thank god for Tim's). I did take in a Jays game on Sunday and yes, I was at Canadian Idol.
    I did some bar hopping/clubbing at the Horseshoe (Oasis hangs out there), the Orbit Room, Club V, Proof The Vodka Bar, Sopra, Bier Market at Esplanade, Crystal Room, Cobalt, Lava and a few other places that I can't remember because I had too much to drink. I did not end up paying for a thing which was nice of my friends.

I got some shopping in and spent time with my friends....manage to squeeze a tiny bit with family. Funny, I got a tour of CTV and CBC national stations, because I have friends that work there and made arrangements.

I was greeted with a limousine at Pearson to whisk me away from the airport when I arrived. My friends wanted me to get the royal treatment when I hit Toronto. A saw someone at Pearson and tried to duck them too with success when I arrived there. My friends treated me so well. I even stayed at the Royal Fairmount, not with family this time.

Three things to remember for next time:
    1) Plan a longer trip
    2) See JR and HC for sure
    3) Get a game of golf in at one of the best courses in Ontario.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Next time you come, HC & I will host a special SportsJournalists.com Toronto outing in your honour. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted