1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random trip to Toronto

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BRoth, Aug 15, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mimico has been a real estate hot spot for about 10 years. Where you been?

And the Brunswick is no different than any North American pub that attracts a university crowd exept it's a little rough around the edges. The Brunswick doesn't have a monopoly on puking 20 year olds.

You use the phrase "take my bride" and criticize me for using "yuppie"? Hilarious.

2. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Brunny had that great slogan: Dare To Drink Where Your Dad Drank.

I've been to the joints along the Esplanade (I'll always make a stop at the Old Spaghetti Factory) but there's nothing terribly distinctive about them other than the larcenous prices.

Anyone know if the Morrissey is still open on Yonge?

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Draft Guinness was cheaper in mid-town Manhattan than in the pubs around the Esplanade.

Morrissey closed up a number of years ago after a fire and I don't think it ever re-opened.

4. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Morrissey was one of the truly great places to drink in downtown Toronto. Who needs overpriced joints with guys checking their Crackberries every two minutes.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

The Pilot around the corner on Cumberland (?) is pretty good

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

I had a co-worker go to Toronto he said it was a cool town, what is everyone here thoughts on it.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I've lived in the Toronto area my whole life and while it's not Halifax or Montreal (or Tahoe) as far as nightlife goes, it's always been good for me.

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Brass Rail on Yonge Street.

9. EE94

EE94 Guest

well, if the Brunny is no different than umpteen other university hangouts, it hardly makes it distinctive enough to point visitors to. That was kind of my point.

But as been demonstrated many times before, you seem to revel in your self-appointed status as all things Toronto and Canada (you know, posting arcane trivia on any thread that even mentions either), and so your pointing to the Brunswick seems a sad attempt to demonstrate that you "know" Toronto.
    And as for your yuppie comments, as if the Irish Embassy doesn't attract a mess of them.

If I'm a visitor to Toronto, I'd much rather walk around Wellington and that area and stop to have a beer on the Esplanade instead of avoiding the punchouts at the Brunswick.

10. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

HC, I will for sure let you know. JR knows my plans.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Actually it was Huggy who brought up the Brunswick but you felt you had to stick your two cents worth in.

And since I've lived in the city for over 30 years, yeah, I "know" Toronto--certainly far better than someone who thinks the Esplanade is the coolest place in the city.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Huggy, you are in my good books my friend for recognizing the nightlife being better in Halifax than Toronto. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted