1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Random college football rule question

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, Mar 8, 2008.

1. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

This is an off-the-wall scenario that I have never seen happen but what if it did?

Does anyone know what would happen?

Team A is going for a two point conversion. They turn the ball over and Team B takes the ball out of the end zone.

After leaving the end zone, the player from TEAM B, runs back into the end zone and gets tackled.

Is it a safety?

Forget forward progress because the player from team b ran back under his own power.

2. Yodel

Yodel Active Member

It's a one-point safety. Happened to Texas A&M versus Texas a couple years ago.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's a one-point safety. Happened in a Texas-Texas A&M game a few years ago.

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/6590924

EDIT: Beat me to it. So that I feel I've added something to the discussion, it's possible for either team to score a safety on a two-point attempt. So theoretically, it would be possible for a team to finish with one point. Incredibly, fantastically unlikely, but possible.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Thanks guys. A 2-1 game is bound to happen someday.

5. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I don't think so. They way I understand it, whatever type of one-point score can only come after a touchdown. However, I'm still waiting for a 1-0 CFL game.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah... you are right.. haha.

A 6-1 game.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

OK, another OT question I've wondered about.

First possession of OT, Team A's pass is intercepted and B runs all the way down to the 5-yard line before getting tackled. Can B begin its possession at the 5, or must ALL offensive drives in OT start at the 25?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

They start at the 25.

9. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Does the defense only get one point for returning a conversion attempt? I thought it was two points.

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Two points. The scenario above was referring to the defender getting tackled after returning to his own end zone.

And a 6-1 game is still impossible. The team that scored the touchdown would get the 1-point safety.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No it could happen.

Team A scores.

Goes for the two.

Team B intercepts the pass runs it back, but fumbles it on say the five. Team A grabs it on the one, runs back into the endzone and gets tackled. 1pt safety

Team B gets one point.

Team A already had 6

6-1.

(I think)

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

DESKSLAVE SAID: it's possible for either team to score a safety on a two-point attempt.

So yeah 6-1 could happen.

The only scores that couldn't would be like 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1, 5-1, 7-1.

6-1 could happen on above mentioned scenario. 8-1 could also happen.

Draft saved Draft deleted