1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rams release Michael Sam

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Aug 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's insane. He was so brilliant that he cleared waivers. I don't think it's a given that he winds up on a practice squad, although he probably will.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Did I hear right that he was beaten out for a roster spot by an undrafted free agent out of a Division II school?

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

it just about how MSNBC pounds for the Big O.

4. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

That's late night Cinemax that pounds for the big O

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Rachel Madddow would absolutely turn if The Big O came on
    to her

6. Paynendearse

Paynendearse Member

I'm shocked that to fill a need or otherwise, SF didn't pick him up.
    And I'm surprised that the king of distractions, Jerry Jones, hasn't snatched him. Considering his defense could be better by signing up prime high school kids these days.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

yes

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sam ain't landing on no squad. None of the other 31 teams are obligated to take him. The NFL got what it wanted.

9. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I love that ESPN is being blamed for him not winding up on a practice squad yet.

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

If he doesn't end up on a practice squad, it won't be from lack of effort from ESPN. They're still flogging the issue as if getting Michael Sam onto an NFL practice squad is the most urgent objective facing the nation as a whole.

11. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Not that anybody has the time to do this, but the key here would be figuring out this: In the seven-round draft/practice squad era, how many seventh-round draftees and undrafted free agents have been cut by their original team and signed by somebody else? How many never get another shot? In other words, what are the odds -- historically speaking -- of such a second chance?

I do have to wonder why he's the only guy who had 2.5 or more sacks in the preseason who doesn't have a gig yet.

12. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Maybe Vince McMahon pays better than practice squad money.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24691118/wwe-invites-michael-sam-to-appear-on-sept-8-monday-night-raw

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.