1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ralph Nader officially announces

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by spup1122, Feb 24, 2008.

1. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Per the AP

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Ralph Nader is launching a third-party campaign for president.

The consumer advocate made the announcement Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." He says most Americans are disenchanted with the Democratic and Republican parties, and that none of the presidential contenders are addressing ways to stem corporate crime and Pentagon waste and promote labor rights.

Nader also ran as a third-party candidate in the 2000 and 2004 presidential elections. He is still loathed by many Democrats who call him a spoiler and claim his candidacy in 2000 cost the party the election by siphoning votes away from Al Gore in a razor-thin contest in Florida.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Re: Ralph Nadar officially announces

The cancer returns.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Dear Ralph:

It is my fervent hope that you will be run over by a succession of speeding Corvair convertibles.

Sincerely,

2muchcoffeeman

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Nadar was on the primary ballot in California. I just laughed when I saw his name on it.

I do think, however, that if a third-party candidate ran strong with a plan for the immigration issue they'd get a decent amount of votes.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Ralph has pretty much spent his goodwill bank at this point, hasn't he?

Just go away, man.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

You'll be telling me the same thing when I run for office in 12 years, Zeke.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Dear Mr. Nader:

Thank you for assuring me of the presidency.

Sincerely,
    John McCain

8. Mahoney

Mahoney Member

Seriously, why is he doing this? It can't be strictly an ego thing, since he knows he'll be laughed at by most, hated by some, and has no chance to win. It only detracts from any legit chance to be influential in the future on achieving goals Nader says matter to him, because no Democrat is going to be in a mood to help him and no Republican ever would. So what's the angle here?

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Nader got 0.38 percent of the vote last time. I don't think he's going to have an effect on this race.

He's just humiliating himself at this point.

10. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Agreed, but even that 0.38 percent can have a huge impact. In a state with 10 million people voting, that's 38,000 votes. That's more than enough to swing that state, and hence precious electoral votes, to the Republican candidate.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It'll probably be the same amount of people who write in Ron Paul.

Negligible.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Ron Paul has more credibility at this point.

Draft saved Draft deleted