1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ralph Nader: Get rid of scholarships

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by KYSportsWriter, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

The Corvair says STFU, geezer. Why do we care what Ralph Nader thinks about anything, much less college athletics? His biography should be titled "Irrelevant in Any Decade." The only thing separating him from the Unabomber is he doesn't do special deliveries.

College sports are corrupt, yes. But they aren't going away anytime soon. There's too much money involved for all concerned just to make everyone like Division III, no scholarships.

He's still living in his car-free, emissions-free fantasy world powered by unicorn farts, lit by daily rainbows and where he eats marshmallow pies as he stares at the marmalade skies.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No offense, qt, but I hate the way you presented that argument. I doubt it was your intent, but rather than respecting the opinions of those who disagree with you, you are basically saying that they are arguing that side out of self-interest.

There are legitimate arguments against Nader's point. Just because you disagree doesn't mean you should ignore them.

And face it, nobody is being more self-serving here than Nader. Does he believe in what he is saying? Probably. But I think it's a damn safe bet that a big motivation for saying it is to try to stay relevant.

Draft saved Draft deleted