1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Ralph Bernstein - RIP

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Longtime Philly AP guy.

http://cbs.sportsline.com/general/story/10250781

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Ralph was a legend. An absolute delight. I had not seen him in a good 15 years, but he was a generous, hardworking person who loved a good argument.
    He will be missed.

3. "He refused to take 'no comment' for an answer," Conlin said. "But his questions were straight-ahead. He never set anybody up for a cheap shot. And when his story appeared, the quotes were accurate and in context."

To me, that line says it all about him.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

RIP, Ralph Bernstein

Ralph was the AP's guy in Philly forever.

The papers did a nice job of summing up his personality and approach to the job:

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20070710_Longtime_AP_reporter_Ralph_Bernstein_dies.html

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/obituaries/20070709_Ralph_Bernstein__retired_sportswriter.html

5. chazp

chazp Active Member

Re: RIP, Ralph Bernstein

Sounds like he had a great career, but a tragic life. RIP.

6. Re: RIP, Ralph Bernstein

wonderful guy

very sad to hear this

RIP

7. Colton

Colton Active Member

8. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

He once asked the best question of Paterno ever. Penn State lost at USC the same night of the Miss America question. During the conference call the following Tuesday, Ralph got on and said, "Joe, I saw two ugly things on TV Saturday night -- Miss New York, and you guys against USC ..." I'm not even sure what he said after that; I think I was laughing too hard. But Joe did answer whatever it was he asked.

9. mocheeks10

mocheeks10 Member

Or maybe it was the Miss America pageant, as opposed to the question.

10. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

You got the spirit of it. What a great line!

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

anybody who was there will never forget Ralph getting into a fight with Eagles PR guy Ron Howard in the press box at the Vet circa late 1980s

Ralph had to be mid-60s at the time and Ron was probably late 20s, but Ralph threw a few punches and landed one or two while a bunch of people tried to separate them

the guy just did not suffer fools

a legend and an inspiration for his tough questions and doggedness

Philadelphia has lost two giants recently in Ralph and Ron Reid

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

What prompted the fight? Never met the guy but love him just for taking on the PR dude.

Draft saved Draft deleted