1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raleigh News and Observer offers buyouts to 204 of 900 employees

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

<a href="http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1052899.html">I wonder how many will accept it? The story says that only a small percentage are expected to take it.</a>

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

More good news to start the week...

3. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Eligibility for the package was not determined by seniority, Quarles said. Instead, the company looked for positions that could be eliminated using technology, efficiencies or consolidation of jobs.

Since they're already sharing stories with the Charlotte Observer on colleges/Panthers, I would think it's a good bet that many of those positions are in sports.

4. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

They haven't shared any college stories, unless you count Charlotte handling the regular-season games at the Charlotte Bobcats Arena. And the N&O lately has acted like the Panthers don't exist.

There are positions to trim in sports, if you compare what they do compared to other sections in the area. But I imagine it's probably similar across the board.

5. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

The N&O has used Charlotte game stories on ACC basketball games that the N&O's writer did not attend (in addition to the games in Charlotte). At least that's what an N&O writer told me.

6. accguy

accguy Member

The two papers have most definitely shared some college copy when only one of the two was at a game.

In addition, there was some coordination during the football season in which one paper's writer would write a gamer, the others would write a sidebar and both papers would run both.

7. Jim_Mora

Jim_Mora Member

I could be wrong but I think the N@O has used the Rock Hill paper (another mcclatchy paper) panthers beat guy for years for panthers games.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I'm pretty sure that's right.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yes, the N&O has been using Darin Gantt's copy from Rock Hill, but I had also seen some Panthers stories from Charlotte.

This doesn't come as much of a surprise - at all. But I am curious how many employees Quarles and the N&O are looking to push out the door.

10. accguy

accguy Member

After Viv Bernstein left the N&O in 2000 or so, the paper used Darrin Gantt pretty much exclusively. Since KR and Charlotte was purchased by McClatchy, it's been more of a mixed bag.

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure Viv had the luxury of leaving. I think she was SOL after the N&O closed its Charlotte bureau at the time. Luckily, I had seen Viv freelancing for other publications for assignments around the Triangle shortly following her ousting.

12. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

McClatchy had, for the most part, been unscathed in recent layoffs/buyouts. I wonder if this is the beginning for McC...

Draft saved Draft deleted