1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Raissman: Writer Got Scoops with Dirty Tricks?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Aug 12, 2007.

1. RokSki

RokSki New Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/2007/08/12/2007-08-12_other_side_of_the_story.html

The story's first graf (bold mine):

Two recent incidents, in which players' quotes resulted in disciplinary action taken against them, have prompted the Major League Baseball Players Association to condemn the reporting tactics of USA Today baseball columnist Bob Nightengale.
    - - - - - - - - - - -

In light of the the ethical questions surrounding the acquisition and publication of BALCO grand jury testimony in the San Francisco Chronicle, the New York Daily News and Game of Shadows, I hope that the concerns the MLBPA raise about Nightengale's supposed "reporting tactics" are unfounded.

But that this issue has been raised at all brings me back to a point which I wrote about the other day:

If the means which a reporter uses to acquire material for publication are assailable, then it becomes a very short logical leap to believe that the validity of the material itself is assailable.

Or, as I put it the other day: How a reporter gets the information he gets matters as much as what information he gets. And sometimes, it matters more.

2. Rok --
    Bad example.
    It reads like the players took some heat and are looking for someone to blame. So they go to the union, which ought to have better things to do than this, or ought to train its membership better.

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Kill the messenger.
    What a bunch of bullshit.

Did they say it? No one denies that they did. The story says the union says no off the record confidences were violated.
    So what's the problem?
    There isn't one, except the players got in trouble for saying it and are now trying to pin the blame on someone else.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Nightengale should be more like Dan LeBastard and just stick his tounge along the taint of every ball player he ever met. LeBastard has recieved more maps of Hawaii than all the public schools in Maui

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

But would Nightengale draw the line at a Hot Carl?

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes, but hit the search button and read through 95 percent of what Rokski posts on here. According to him, reporters are, by nature, unethical people who are out to screw athletes--as if Jason Giambi and Gary Sheffield have always been controversy-free rubes without experience dealing with reporters. ::)

Only someone with an agenda would read an accusation made by the UNION over things the players aren't denying they said and post it the way he did.

Same old bullshit from him and it's old. There are no ethical problems with Game of Shadows. The book is the product of what investigative reporters do, including ferreting out grand jury testimony if they can somehow legally get their hands on it.

People are still waiting for anything that shows that what Game of Shadows reported is false.

*crickets*

Instead, people like this try to shoot the messengers, which is pretty funny, because the messengers have held up pretty spotlessly even under the smear and slander campaigns being run by people a lot more intelligent and artful about it than Rokski.

7. There are a number of ethical problems with GOS, Ragu.
    Not to get on that old merry-go-round again, but it really is a matter of having been (to me) unacceptably complicit.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FB, I encourage you to hit the search button and read through Rokski's posts on here. If he simply made that point, I'd be quiet about it, as I mostly am with you. He has painted those reporters as criminal and relentlessly slandered them with false accusations. And it's infuriating, which is why I refuse to let it go. I strongly suspect he doesn't have a clue about the instincts, skills and hard work that go into an investigative reporting job like that. I strongly suspect you do.

I disagree with you about them being "complicit," but at worst, you are talking about one issue: the Ellerman thing--which ultimately was a side show between a lawyer, the bar association and a judge, to me. I know you disagree about this (so I agree, no need to rehash), but I also know you'd be the first to say that as troubling as that whole thing might be to you, it doesn't render what they reported false (only an idiot can't make those distinctions) and it doesn't make the reporters criminal in any aspect of their work, or unethical in EVERY aspect of their work.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Shame on Bob... accurately reporting what adult and capable-of-speaking-for-themselves baseball players told him on the record. Where the hell are his ethics?

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm surprised Rok never took a journalism ethics course during his 10 years in college.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Oh good. Another lesson in journalism from the Brothers Villarreal.

My parents weep daily, knowing they could have saved $30K and just sent me to the gym to talk to JDV or his brother on the speaker phone.

Draft saved Draft deleted