1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rain Delay Hijinks

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, May 18, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

God, I love when college baseball players get bored during rain delays. There was that long dance-off a few years back, sure. But this is 2011, baby! Time to up the ante!
    Yes, that's right. It's time ... for catcher joust.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6559330&categoryid=2378529

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

And then there was this, from the Clemson-Davidson game tonight. Apparently they're playing a fake game of tennis, with players from both teams serving as the net.
    There was also a horse race and a bowling contest, where the players served as pins.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. It's funny, but the curmudeon in me comes out. Honestly, if I am a major league team and I own the rights to one of those guys on the shoulders, seeing them fall 7 feet down pretty much on their heads, I'm pretty pissed.

4. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

Florida Atlantic and Western Kentucky staged a nice rain delay theater last year, I believe...

5. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Who would own the rights to any of these players? The draft isn't until June.

6. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

That's what I was going to post.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The Radford players probably got credit for it.

8. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

MLB scouts were probably not happy about it, but the people who were probably actually mad were the coaches. You've got to believe the catchers were pulled aside and told something to the effect of "Yeah that was funny, don't let me see you doing it again."

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Who is scouting Radford's baseball players anyway?

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

If two players in consecutive years can be drafted from a junior college out in the middle of nowhere California (I'm talking desert not the San Joaquin Valley where the nearest town anyone's ever heard of is about two hours away) and said school was a bottom feeder in its conference for the last 10 years, then yes players from Radford can be getting a look. Not saying they are, but they can be.

11. sorry, by the time I got around to watching the video after opening the thread, i forgot about the fact they were college players. I had it stuck in my head they were minor league players. Would love to hear Lou Brown's reaction . . . Real funny <insert name here> Don't ever fucking do it again.

12. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/index.cgi?exact=1&came_from=Radford%20University%20%28Radford,%20VA%29&exact=1&query_type=came_from

11 since 1990. Can't say any of those names ring a bell.

Let them have their fun. If they wanted to be dumb enough to climb on someone's shoulders and possibly break an arm or neck, let them.

Draft saved Draft deleted