1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio Ruckus at Super Bowl

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by sportswriter99, Jan 31, 2009.

1. sportswriter99

sportswriter99 New Member

Typical nine-fingered Baltimore radio freak Nestor Aparicio starting trouble again. What a douchebag

http://tsnextrapoints.blogspot.com/
    At about 2:00 this afternoon, just after I had finished a radio segment for WNST in Baltimore back at my Tampa hotel, Sports Network MLB editor Chris Ruddick texted me to see if I had heard anything about the fight that occurred on "Radio Row" this morning. Though I was apparently mere feet from Radio Row when the incident occurred, I knew absolutely nothing about it, and pressed for any details Ruddick had.

Strangely enough, the incident involved WNST owner and sometimes-radio personality Nestor Aparicio, who reportedly choked Dallas radio personality Gordon Keith in what we'll hope is the culmination of an ongoing battle between the two.

The police were called, and a source at WNST told me that Aparicio was charged with battery, though not arrested.

Not real sure what the feud is all about, but I can tell you that mere minutes before the incident reportedly took place, at 8:45am, I was talking to Aparicio on the shuttle ride that departed at 8:30am from our hotel to the Super Bowl XLIII media center. Aparicio told me that he and his wife went to see The Eagles at the St. Pete Forum last night, and he told me he was tired after staying up too late after the show. Perhaps he encountered Keith before his morning Starbucks kicked in.

Bizarre.

www.awfulannouncing.com
    Two Sports Radio Personalities Fight On Radio Row
    Friday, January 30, 2009

Of all the things that could happen on Radio Row during Super Bowl Week, this was not one that I could imagine. It turns out that two feuding stations/broadcasters, one from Baltimore and one from Dallas, decided to throw down this afternoon. From Dallas Sports Fans via Deadspin....

This morning on Radio Row at Super Bowl 43 in Tampa, “Nasty Nestor” Aparicio, a controversial Baltimore radio host attacked Gordon Keith. The incident is the latest in an on-going feud between Nasty Nestor and the Ticket.

Apparently, Gordon Keith went over to Nasty Nestor Arapicio with a wireless microphone to attempt to bury the hatchet between the two parties, when Nasty Nestor became angry, grabbed Gordon Keith around the throat and attempted to strangle him. The two were then separated and the police were called.

This is not the first incident between Nasty Nestor and the Ticket. In 2008, at the Super Bowl coverage, Corby Davidson went to Nasty Nestor to make peace. Nestor Arapicio began swearing at Corby Davidson and accused him of having a hidden mic, to which Corby responded, “I swear to the good Lord I do not have a microphone.” Nasty Nestor then called Corby a “(Explitive)-ing Jew.”
    Well then! If there's anything lamer than a media feud, it's gotta be a Sports Radio feud. After the banquet lunch, and my interview with Frank Caliendo, let's settle this at the Playground free Pepsi Machines outside the conference center!

If anyone has audio of the exchange, I'd love to hear it.

Nasty Nestor Arapicio Attacks Gordon Keith (Dallas Sports Fans)

Video link: http://www.dallassportsfans.com/2009/01/video-gordon-keith-fight-nasty-nestor-chokes-gordon-keith-video/

2. I'll pass.

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

Bull crap on the hatchet burying excuse. They were trying to get a rise out of Nasty. If you keep poking a stick at a dog, you shouldn’t be surprised when he finally bites you. And you dang sure shouldn’t expect the dog to be punished.

4. spnited

spnited Active Member

Further proof that the Super Bowl has become 95% bullshit and hype, and 5% football game.
    There is a football game buried somewhere amid all the crap, isn't there?

5. This is why I don't own a radio.

6. I poke a stick at a dog and the dog bites me, the dog gets put down.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Even if I had heard of any of these people I wouldn't give a damn.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The jerk gets no slack from me, ever. That jury's returned, and they're not smiling.

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Don't do it in Montgomery, Alabama.

Man gets nine years in "Louis Vuitton" abuse case
    JANUARY 30, 2009

Circuit Judge Charles Price sentenced Juan Daniels to nine years and six months in prison for beating and burning his mother's pit bull.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/article/20090130/NEWS/90130009

10. I meant by a vet, not by lynch mob.
    Yikes.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

If anything is ripe for a "Punk'd" episode it would be radio row. Just have some guy pose as some well-known retired football player, perhaps a white guy posing as Deacon Jones or a black guy posing as Russ Francis and talking nonsense.
    I've got to think more than a few shows would get hooked.

12. pallister

pallister Guest

Does that mean you're the kind of guy who would start a fight with someone, then sue after getting his kicked?

Draft saved Draft deleted