1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio Row at the Super Bowl: The worst week in sports talk radio

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 26, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The formula is always the same:
    Your local (or national) host is at the Super Bowl
    *Talk about the city's steak house and strip clubs
    *Talk about interview day at the stadium, and the non-journalist who was asking wacky questions
    *Bring on guests, which follows the same formula - He is a former NFL great, who spends the first 3 minutes talking about his career, then the next 3 minutes talking about some website, product or foundation he is being paid to sponsor. Neither half of the interview is even remotely interesting.

It'll be books on cd for my commute this week.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You forgot Peter King showing up on every one of those shows.

3. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

...everyone just says the same shit trying to be contrarian, but only enough so you don't look stupid when the game comes out just as predicted. "I don't know, Arizona's not going to be an easy out...If Ben plays a perfect game, he'll tough to beat...I'm not sure Pittsburgh's corners can stop Larry Fitzgerald."

You know whom I miss this time of year? Dr. Z. Hope he's doing better.

4. Boom_70

Yup - Dr Z's curmudgeon view of things will be sorely missed.

Be interesting to see if it changes dynamic of HOF voting. Z was very outspoken and knowledgeable of those who should not get in. He was a big roadblock for candidacy of Paul Taglibue

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Peter King took a break from stressing about melted kit kats and airplane cutlery to give an update on Dr. Z, and it's not that good...

8. I think so many of you have written and called with questions about Paul Zimmerman, and I wanted to give you an update on his condition. To sum up: Paul had a third, minor stroke while in his New Jersey rehab facility, and some of the progress he'd made in the first few days in the place was lost. He is battling and working as hard as he's ever worked on any story in his life, and I can confirm that because I've seen it with my own eyes. But as of now, he cannot speak, has difficulty reading because of the effects of the strokes on his eyes, and does not have full use of his right side, including his arm and leg. He gets about three hours of therapy per day and is being trained to speak and walk again. It is probably going to be a long haul back to normalcy for Dr. Z -- and now we have to hope that the insurance company will see that his case needs more time in rehab. That's the thing Linda, aka The Flaming Redhead, is battling now.

I had an idea. This is the first Super Bowl in 41 years that Zim is missing. It'd be a great if any of you would see fit to drop Paul a card or get-well letter this week in care of SI.com and we'll deliver all the mail to him this weekend in time for the game. Yes, he's watching the games. And still loving them.

Send to:
    Paul Zimmerman
    c/o Dom Bonvissuto, SI.com
    1271 Avenue of the Americas
    32-113B
    New York, NY 10020

And if you'd like to send e-mail, address it to Dr. Z at siwriters@simail.com.

6. All the best to Dr. Z, of course.
    And, this just in, the latest from Radio Row..

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Hang in there, Dr. Z.

The worst is when you're flipping between channels and the guest you just heard is about to go on another show. It sounds like they're just walking up and down the rows -- because they are, along with PR flaks who are trying to get their product, er, guy on every station.

8. Boom_70

If the NFL has a sense of humor they will put Francesa and Mad Dog side by side.

9. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm torn about saying "hang in there, Dr. Z."

It sounds like he is irreversibly damaged in areas of his body that allowed him to live the life he loved.

Now, perhaps for him every day of breath is a gift.

For me, though, I would now want to go as quickly as possible.

Here's to you getting where you want to be, Dr. Z.

10. I'm telling you, Boom. This is one of your greatest mornings, my brother.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Is there ever a good week in talk radio?

That line of work, more than anything, has led to the complete erosion of the coach-media relationship.

12. Fixed.

Draft saved Draft deleted