1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Radio, newspaper, and my ethics

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by CanzanoJohn, Aug 21, 2007.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What's a media banquet? Never heard of one, so it stands to reason I've never been invited to one.

Thank you. I was going to use a lot more words than you did to say the same thing.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

1 -- nope
    2 -- nope. I did buy a MVC tourney tee at an event for my brother though
    3 -- nope.
    4 -- yes, but I was teaching at the time and not working for a newspaper or other publication
    5 -- nope
    6 -- nope
    7 -- yes, but I didn't eat anything because they had no vegetarian fare.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I've done 2,3,4 and 7, and I'd do most again in a heartbeat.

The using connections to get tickets one made me feel briefly guilty, but given the exact circumstances again, I'd do so again.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I really don't know what "media banquet" means. If you mean awards banquet, yes. Otherwise, no.

Otherwise, all I've done is No. 2. And never anything worth over $25.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Like you are going to find another female to trade sex for tickets.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

In Houston, the debate is over something else....whether a columnist who hosts a radio show should read any of those "Tell `em I sent ya!" advertisements during that show.

http://tinyurl.com/3y9m6d

7. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

It really does come down to that, and I'm amazed there's so much debate over it.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But that's not FOR the media. It's not a media banquet.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Every college team I've covered has had them, but how did they get the term media banquet? I've never heard them described that way. What makes it a media banquet? It's "the football banquet" or "the basketball banquet" at every place I've been.

We don't go. I don't know a paper that does. Yet, the school keeps holding them, and players, parents and coaches still go. If it were a media banquet, I'd assume they'd call them off for lack of interest, because I'm not aware of any media that attends (save a jock-sniffing TV haircut or two).

10. Johnny Dangerously

No big deal. I thought maybe there was something going on elsewhere that I was unaware of.

11. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Just wondering: It seems like we get a few sports editors in here occasionally. Would any of them be willing to post their policy on conflicts of interest -- I don't mean some formal newsroom document, but how they might handle the situation that John Canzano's radio show on Paul Allen's station has created? We can assume that it's OK with the Oregonian's SE, but I'm curious what other bosses think or would do.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

99 percent would dump it in the laps of their boss. This is not a sports editor level decision.

Draft saved Draft deleted