1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racist tweets and punishment

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, May 8, 2012.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Lots of sad people in this town today, for obvious reasons. One of the shows I listened to on the way in was talking about more tweets directed at Joel Ward. It was mentioned that they found some of the tweeters after the Boston incident - high school kids from New Hampshire I believe. And the school had disciplined them, causing one of the dads to pop off. His point was the kid was wrong, no question, but it would be dealt with by him and not the school. Not a lot of precedent for Twitter punishment out there and I'm not sure where I fall. When I get some time, I'll go off in search of some links but I'm curious where others fall on this debate.

No one is denying the kids deserve some kind of punishment. School? Home? Both?

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Do we know if the kids were using school computers on school grounds when they made the tweets? If they were, then I can understand the school wanting to discipline the kids.

If it was only done at home and did not interfere with school, then I'm not sure why the school should be doing the disciplining.

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Obviously there may be other legal issues if the school is public.

4. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Were the tweets done at school? Otherwise, do kids ever get punished for things they do when not in school?

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

It seems odd that the school punishes for something like this, but fuck it. The last thing I am going to worry about is some asshole kids getting a little extra punishment.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think Beaker pretty much nailed it. Unless they used school computers to do it, the school has no business being involved in it. Let the parents do their jobs.

7. joe king

joe king Active Member

Agreed. Unless it was done at school, during a school-sponsored activity or using school equipment, it is not the school's job to police kids' behavior.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Schools frequently punish kids for off-school-grounds Internet behavior, though usually in the bullying context. It has to cause a distraction at school, or potentially do so. Supreme Court has yet to weigh in on this, but I think most of the courts that have have come out in favor of the schools, not the students.

There was a recent thread here on some Indiana girls that were punished for out-of-school Facebook posts.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Tough one. Good question. I know a lot of folks think home is home and kids aren't students unless they are at school, but I just don't think that's a realistic view of the entire student community these days.

More to the point, however, is that if my kid ever does something like this I won't be bothering to attempt to reduce the penalties he gets. Sports is obviously the biggest privilege those kids have going for them, and if they have to get benched a few games to learn a lesson, so be it. (I also very much question the dad's true interest in handling it at home.)

10. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

To be sure, 1st Amendment law is incredibly permissive towards public schools.

11. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

He scored about 10:20 p.m. and the tweets followed pretty quickly - so my educated guess is they weren't school computers.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Again, I would argue that this is a minor and irrelevant distinction. The school community exists on social media. I don't know the racial composition of the school in question, but imagine being a black student walking the halls with those jackasses the next morning.

Draft saved Draft deleted