1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism in the United States

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Drip, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Drip

Drip Active Member

Had a nice discussion with some people and we couldn't seem to agree. So I'm taking the subject to the s.j. board with the hopes there can be open dialogue without childish name calling. In light of Obama being heckled and Carter's statement, is race STILL a problem in the United States?

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I read the thread title and I thought John Cougar Mellencamp wrote a really bad new song.

4. Drip

Drip Active Member

Wish that was what the thread was about. However, it's not and I believe this is still a topic that is taboo to many.

5. Bubbler

So, apparently, is the spelling of the word "taboo".

I think "tabu" was a Polynesian king from Gilligan's Island who offered the gang an outrigger canoe in exchange for the rights to eat the Skipper and make Mary Jane his princess.

Then, a guest-starring chimpanzee dropped a coconut on tabu's head and he rolled his eyes comically before being knocked out. Of course, the gang was too stupid to fetch the outrigger canoe because Mr. and Mrs. Howell felt it was beneath them to ride in a vessel that didn't serve martinis.

Gilligan then made a joke about how the Skipper didn't look much like a hamburger. Skipper got pissed and exclaimed, "Gilligan!". Roll credits.

As for R-A-C-I-S-M in the U-S-A, I mean, do you seriously think you have to ask? Of course there's racism.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This thread has the potential to serve as a historic milepost on the road to racial harmony and enlighten future generations. Or go down in flames.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I love Bubbler's using the Gilligan's Island premise to dissect racism.

Were there any people of color among the castaways? No.

So the black people shown were all comical characters out to make stew of the men and defile the women.

I used to watch Gilligan's Island all the time as a youngster and I still feel a little tinge of liberal guilt whenver I see a black man stirring a gigantic, black kettle.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Yeah I fixed it. Thanks. I was thinking about the record label, tabu.

9. Bubbler

I've got to call you on this one, Ace. They were down with the civil rights cause. How do I know this? They brought the Harlem Globetrotters to Gilligan's Island.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now the robots whom the Globetrotters played in a winner-take-all basketball game? Racist to the core.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I'd like to post up Ginger and Mary Anne.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, they invite the black "jesters" to play to a stereotype.

And that alien is so ugly that even James T. Kirk wouldn't hit it.

So typical of those Gilligan's Islanders.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Hey, at least the Howells didn't bring slaves!

Draft saved Draft deleted