1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racism at UC San Diego

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Apparently, when you get a bunch of frat dorks together, they do really, REALLY stupid things.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_black_history_mock_party

These racists are idiots. Comes from upbringing. Parents are probably idiots too.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Greek letters or GTFO!

My guess is there aren't many Kappa Alpha Order chapters in the Southland.

LATE EDIT: Meaning SoCal. They're more numerous in the other Southland.

3. Pencil Dick

Pencil Dick Member

Honest to Tebow, I'm wearing a grey UCSD T-shirt as I read this thread, a T-shirt I haven't pulled out of my closet in months before this morning.

Should I change?

BTW, I have no idea what went on during said event, but the term "Compton Cookout" made me laugh.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The other part of this story is that funding was pulled for the student media outlets after the TV station aired a commentary piece calling the protesters "ungrateful n--."

http://www.ucsdguardian.org/opinion/editorials/stopping-the-presses-won%e2%80%99t-heal-the-hurt/

On the plus side, I'm sure there are a host of media outlets that will offer the editor in chief an internship and hold him up as a victim of First Amendment haters.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The SAEs at a school my friend went to through an annual "Big Black Mama" party where they would dance around in KFC buckets and serve watermelon punch. This went on for more than a decade without incident until the fraternity was cited for a noise violation and in the police report it was casually mentioned that it was the "Big Black Mama" party and the university caught wind of it and closed the house down for three years.

6. Mizzougrad96

I know of another house at a fellow Big 12 School that has an annual "MLK birthday party" where they drink 40s, play dominoes and watch some the most blacksploitative film they can find (but not the ones from the 70s), I know they've shown "Don't be a menace" and "BAPS" in the past.

It's one of the campuses most popular parties and they've never been in trouble for it.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Man, I thought our old Rev. Jim Jones PGA Punch Party was tacky.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yeah its tacky and insensitive. Sucks for the UCSD students right now because the incidents get blamed on the whole campus.

I'm at the point now that you just ridicule the idiots who participate in the activity and leave it at that. Why react to ignorance? Most importantly just make sure that the audience does not pick up on that its okay to do that stuff; that there will be social consequences. That's the problem, others think its okay and join in the fun and the message is broadened.

Just call out the racists for what they are.

9. Mizzougrad96

I think if people looked hard enough they would find a party with racist or misogynistic overtones on just about every campus in the country.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I went to a Catholic college and while we liked to drink, the raciest thing we did in the four years I was there was a the first annual Bobby Knight Memorial Chair Throwing Contest. One of our discus throwers won first prize.

11. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

When I was in college, The Black Caucus of Rather Hall at MSU (the same dorm where the football players rioted this year) threw a Martin Luther King Day Party.

The menu?

Fried Chicken, Collared Greens, Orange Soda.

I shit you not.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

"What kind of campus promotes an environment that allows people to think it's acceptable to target people for their ethnicity, gender or sexuality?" said Corey Matthews.

Mathews then asked Mr. Feeney how he, Topanga and Sean can learn about racial insensitivity and how to stop it.

Draft saved Draft deleted