1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racial slur on talk radio

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

For some strange reason I've found myself listening to a lot of conservative talk radio lately. No idea why. I disagree with about 99 percent of what I hear on these shows. Maybe I just enjoy heckling the hosts and the callers in the prvacy of my own vehicle.
    Tonight I was listening to a local show, the Todd Feinberg (sp?) show that had a guest host named Maloney. The topic, as it has been all week, was the Big Dig and the slab of concrete that fell on and killed a woman in one of the tunnels.
    Anyway, one caller was comparing the Big Dig to various construction projects in the third world and suggested that we get a bunch of illegal aliens to hold the ceiling panels up in the tunnels. The caller also said that a certain project was done by (racial slur against blacks beginning with the letter J).
    What was really weird was not only did the caller use that word on the radio. It might not be the N word but it's a synonym and one would think it's equally offensive, but the host just let it go. No comment. If there was a seven-second delay, how did that word make it on the air?
    I'm not sure what was worse, the caller using that word or the host acting like it was no big deal.
    I haven't even heard that word since I was in college in the 80s.

2. Double J

Double J Active Member

Is the short version of that word a homonym for the kind of dance Ashlee Simpson is famous for?

3. Smallpotatoes

Yeah, I guess you could say that.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Jungle bunny?

5. What kind of ratings does this guy get?
    That's the only thing that matters to people who run radio stations these days. There is literally nothing a rightist talker can say on the radio that will get bthe person fired given decent ratings.
    And smallpotates? I know it's a typo but the phrase "acting like it was no bid deal" in the context of thie discussion of the Big Dig made me chuckle.

6. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

I ran right through that stop sign... very funny.

7. sportsed

sportsed Guest

HONKEY honey.

8. Smallpotatoes

Fenian,
    Yeah, it was a typo. The word, if you must know, was jiggaboo.

Draft saved Draft deleted