1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Racial injustice blamed on NASCAR

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by lono, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I lived in Chicago for 23 years, and I've never heard of the Chicago Sports Review.

2. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Well, you're missing out! The Fire are excited about their new coach! He's Colombian!

3. Mmac

Mmac Guest

I enjoyed the paragraph where he suggests a racial double standard because there was not as loud of an outcry when Jonathon Babineaux was accused of murdering his girlfriend's dog. Of course, what Wilson neglects to ever mention (assuming he was aware) is that Babineaux IS ALSO AFRICAN-AMERICAN, anyone reading this piece without that knowledge would undoubtedly assume otherwise.

If there is a double standard in the attention paid to Babineaux and Vick, it certainly isn't race based. It might, however, have something to do with the fact that Vick is among the league's highest profile and highest paid stars, whereas Babineaux's a fairly anonymous roster filler. But, hey, wouldn't want the facts to get in the way.

And could someone please show me where there's been this outpouring of sympathy for Tim Donaghy? I keep hearing words like scumbag, criminal, and asshole thrown at him, I must've missed the sympathetic pieces.

As FB said, there might be a legitimate underlying point about Nascar and race to be made, but it does a disservice to those who want it expressed to have this joker trying to make it. A really incompetent and irresponsible piece of writing.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Really, I know for a fact that they haven't hung pregnant women for fun at Daytona since 1991.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

God, what a horrible piece of drek

I don't think anyone should dignify it by calling it a "column"

And Good Doctor confirmed what I suspected. What the hell is the Chicago Sports Review?

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Shhh, facts can't get in the way of DWil's ranting.

7. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

Is that JDV's pen name? Scrolling down the page makes me sleepy...

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Wendell Scott said all the old-time NASCAR drivers were white hillbillies.

9. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

I'd have loved to hear DWil's take on the Duke lax case 12 months ago.

10. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Gary Sheffield would say you're not really white, because you're Canadian.

11. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

No.

Draft saved Draft deleted