1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. William Buckley

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SlickWillie71, Feb 27, 2008.

1. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

One of the founding fathers of the current wave of hateful media peons. Still, his influence was and is very apparent in today's landscape.

Guess it does come in threes....Cope, Heinz and Buckley in one day.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

A douche, but at least a douche with an IQ in the triple digits. I'd take Buckley any day over the current wave of radical pinheads who call themselves "conservative." RIP.

Interesting footnote...I was the SE of a rural weekly in the early part of this decade. We ran two syndicated columnists: Buckley and Ivins. Got lots of complaints from readers about how both of our syndicated columnists were "liberal."

3. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

I did not agree with his politics, but I liked his taste in clothing.

4. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

5. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

In the '50s, he defended both segregation and McCarthy, yet he became a sort of McCain-like figure to liberals (not such a bad guy, etc.) I guess it was because he was witty and erudite. Many of his ideas were really horrible.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Speak as a subscriber to NR for a sustained period during the sixties, and a regular glancer in libraries, thereafter . . . an original, will be missed, and had the good taste to see some of the grevious flaws sported by the current clownshow . . .

Also provided some great theatrical moments, especially with Vidal.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

RIP to a great American, one of the first to expose the lies of liberalism.

8. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Heaven needed a pompous windbag elitist.

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Unfortrnately, I couldn't find Buck's PSA with Tip O'Neill about space technology on YouTube.

BUCKLEY: I'm here to elucidate on the benefits of space technology. Yourself?
    O'NEILL: I'm here to bring what you say down to earth.

At the end:
    BUCKLEY: I'm speechless.
    O'NEILL: See? The benefits of space technology!

10. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

One of my favorite SCTV skits had William F. Buckley (I forget who played him, though it was probably Joe Flaherty) debating Meat Loaf (played by John Candy).

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Didn't agree with him politically, but RIP. The world lost a dedicated journalist.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

I attended the taping of one of his Firing Line shows when I was at Ole Miss. He was a strange guy.

Draft saved Draft deleted