1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Jim McKay

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by pseudo, Jun 7, 2008.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

He will be remembered as a man who did his best work under awful circumstances, and did so with grace and gravitas.

We should all be so lucky. RIP.

2. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Not much has been said that I wouldn't say, but NBC needs a moment of darkness for the first Olympics without McKay since... well, the last time ABC did it. You get my point. Won't be the same knowing McKay isn't around to watch them.

St. Peter won't be announcing McKay's entrance. He'll announce himself.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

He WAS Mr. Olympics.
    For me, anyway.
    His calming presence back on the Olympic Village set was always welcome to see.
    RIP, Jim

4. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

RIP to a true giant.

THE face and voice of ABC. Like Gowdy (and later Enberg) was on NBC and Summerall/Musburger on CBS.

For sure, he was Mr. Olympics. And he was fantastic in everything he did.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Sad, sad news. The Olympics were never the same without him and sports will never be, either.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

In this business of ours, I don't know if I can think of a man with more integrity.

May God rest his soul in eternal peace.

7. I Digress

I Digress Guest

My brother and I were such sports dweebs, with three channels, we had the Wide World of Sports music on a 45 (that's an old single for you young'uns, played on a turntable)... Spanning the globe, indeed.. Jim McKay was sports and he was the Olympics for a generation of kids, and I was one of them.

8. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

I was 18 and just getting into the newspaper biz in 1972. I remember thinking how proud I was that someone identified as a sportscaster could do such a good job handling a momentous news story. Cronkite nailed it in his message to McKay.

RIP, Mr. McKay. Thanks for the memories.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Thinking about Jim McKay makes me relish a time when sports announcing wasn't filled with catch phrases, bombast and machismo, but simply and eloquently told the stories of competitors: winners or losers, world champions and hard luck stories, but each worthy of our respect. Much like Jim McKay.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Classy tribute by Bob Costas on NBC Nightly News:

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm no fan of President Bush, but I think he hit the right notes with his tribute to McKay.

He's an icon's icon. I can't imagine watching the Beijing Olympics without him there.

12. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

For two or three Olympics, I believe, NBC invited him to do remembrances and features. Here's something he did on Sarah Hughes in '02:

Draft saved Draft deleted