1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Gram

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef2, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever met a great-great-grandparent of yours? I did when I was very little, and we'd go visit her every once in a while. She made it to 97 and passed away in 1983.

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

My grandfather died at 101 and didn't have any great-grandchildren. His grandchildren ranged in age from 31-40 at the time of his death, so it's not like no one was old enough to have kids. My family sucks at procreating!

3. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Sorry for your loss, Chef. What a treasure it must've been to see her family grow to that size.

I'm always envious of others who have been able to spend so much time with grandparents and great-grandparents.

My grandmother on my mom's side died before I was born, my grandfather on my dad's side died when I was 1, my grandfather on my mom's side died when I was 7 (so I have some hazy memories of playing at his house), and my grandmother on my dad's side died when I was 11 (but suffered a severe stroke when I was about 5 or 6, so she was in a nursing home from then on and couldn't speak real well).

I was a pall bearer at my grandmother's funeral, and I busted out in tears after putting the casket in the hearse. I like to think a part of me knew what I was going to miss out on without really knowing my grandparents ... not being able to talk to them about my parents and what they were like growing up, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted