1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Gil Santos

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Michael_ Gee, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Longtime radio play by play man for the Patriots died yesterday on his 80th birthday. Did a little bit of just about every other Boston sports team, too. One of the best guys I met in my career.
    PS: Mods, I didn't know whether to post this here or in the Sports and News section, but finally opted for here. Please move it if you think I was in error.
    PPS: Alice reminds me that for many years, when Gil was also doing morning drive time sports for the local all news station WBZ-AM, he was the person who announced the school closings when there were snowstorms. In those pre-Internet days, that was the most important radio news gig of them all.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    wicked and Liut like this.
  2. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing, Michael. During Mr. Santos' stint doing Penn State football, the network got behind on his pay. He showed up at the next game saying he would get paid or else. Or else someone else would be doing the play-by-play that day. He got paid. RIP

3. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

He was my connection to the Patriots. I became a fan as a preteen, but growing up in upstate New York, it was hard to follow along except for the occasional game against the Jets and Bills. I loved when we’d get a late afternoon or night game when radio signals bounce the way they do and some far-off radio station would bring his voice into my clock radio.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

First time I heard Gil on the radio was listening to the school closings. At least Boston was early on the list. Half their 30-minute block would be filled with Gil, Gary and Deb reading off the school closings.

Second memory of Gil was doing the Celtics on TV, and later BC football on the radio. This was during his decade or so of not doing Patriots games.

I’d love to hear some stuff from his Penn State years. It wasn’t until after I left State College that I knew he called their games.

Great voice, enhanced by his love of nicotine.

5. Bronco77

Bronco77 Well-Known Member

He was a frequent guest on Miami talk-radio because of the Patriots-Dolphins rivalry and usually was a cordial interview, but I do remember him coming on Sid Rosenberg's show and having to put up with a series of childish, inane questions. Mr. Santos finally had enough and called out Rosenberg on the air. I'll always remember him fondly for that.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

Gil was simply the GOAT. Nothing more needs to be said!!!!

Draft saved Draft deleted