1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

R.I.P. Gene Pullen

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Apr 3, 2013.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

Geno was the last sports editor of the afternoon Jacksonville Journal, then was an assistant at the Times-Union. He later went to work for the dog tracks in the Jacksonville area.

Geno was one of the nice guys in the business. If you're an old timer who passed through Jax, you probably had beer with Gene, and he probably called you Bubba all evening. Unless you're a woman, then he called you Darlin'

R.I.P.

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2013-04-03/story/former-journal-sports-editor-columnist-pullen-passes-away

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

Gene was one of the TU/JJ assistant sports editors when I first started there. Great, great guy.

When I would revisit Jacksonville, dinner at the dog track was a phone call away. He'd always come by to say hi and catch up.

RIP, Geno.

3. Drip

Drip Active Member

Man, this hits home. Geno was a good ol' boy who made you laugh and if you listened, could teach you a thing or two. Gave me some excellent pointers about this screwy business that I have kept in the memory banks for a few decades. RIP to one of the good guys.

Draft saved Draft deleted