1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quoting e-mails

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KJIM, Apr 10, 2010.

1. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

I stick with "said" unless something else applies. In this case, I think "wrote" applies. Unless it's a critical phrase, I'd paraphrase to avoid cleaning up someone else's grammar. And if it is a critical phrase, you probably should use "sic" instead of altering the words.

For putting out tomorrow's rag, as you likely already know, conferring with your friendly neighborhood copy desk chief is the best way to find an answer. They're going to be changing it how they see fit, anyway.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Two problems with this approach:

1. You give the green light to use something other than "said" and some writers will use a different verb every time so as not to be "boring."

2. The times when "exclaimed" is just the perfect word and trumps "said" would be infinitesimal. (I could make an case for rare uses of "shouted" or "laughed" or somesuch.)

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I say once you've established it's an e-mail, you're good to go with "said" beyond that -- unless, of course, the method of communications changes to something else along the way.

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

SF is right there.
    Because, "said" by most definitions and colloquially is an audible or verbalized action. But, once it is established the communication was via email, "said" is just fine.

5. I like it when people "laugh" their sentences

6. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Yeah, or snicker.

Draft saved Draft deleted