1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes! I don't need no stinkin' quotes!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Working on our football tab today, I visited a school about an hour away from our world headquarters.
    We don't sell many papers there and we only visit maybe four times a year (three of which are for tabs).
    Nevertheless, I am treated very well every time I go up there and they always tell me what a nice job the paper does.
    The town has a weekly, which is in our empire. I'm familiar with the sports guy there. He's a nice enough fella.
    The team celebrated its 100th season last year and the sports guy put together a special book on the program's history.
    It hasn't been printed yet. No one has seen it.
    I'm asking the coaches about the it, and they yell me the sports guy is a little "off the beam."
    The coach tells me he got a call on Sunday evening from the guy. Sidebar: the coach has been pissed at the paper ever since they ran a letter to the editor ripping him to shreds. He seldom talks to the sports guy. The night sports guy calls, Mrs. Coach answers.
    Sports guy tells her he wants a few quotes from the coach. Says he's already written the story and put in quotes he figured the coach would say! He was serious.
    Coach tells me that half the stuff that appears in the weekly attributed to him is made up. He just shrugs it off.
    I laughed and told him I wish I could do that. My job would be hell of lot easier and his would be a hell of a lot more intersting!

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

You'll learn newbie. :D

3. MGoBlue

MGoBlue Member

When is the last time, especially at the high school level, a coach said anything worthwhile?

Just my two cents.

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

For attribution? Good question. Just shooting the shit? Constantly.

Draft saved Draft deleted