1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quotes about the biz....

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mark, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Mark

Mark Member

So my paper's newsroom is doing a remodeling, and we're putting up a prophetic or poignant or humorous quote from someone as it relates to each section: Sports, Photo, Graphics, News, etc......

Here's one I've found from Frank Deford:

“Look at the sports pages of the 1930s and '40s. It was all games, basic stuff. Not nearly as much behind the scenes. I think newspapers, the ones that survive, will be the clever and bright ones.”

Anybody know others good quotes related to sportswriting (quote and author)??

Thanks.

2. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

One of my best friends has this one on her myspace profile (ha, yeah, say what you will):

"I turn to the sports section first. The sports section records people’s accomplishments; the front page nothing but man's failures."

-- Former Supreme Court Chief Justice Earl Warren.

3. lono

lono Active Member

Journalism is not a profession or a trade. It is a cheap catch-all for fuckoffs and misfits - a false doorway to the backside of life, a filthy piss-ridden little hole nailed off by the building inspector, but just deep enough for a wino to curl up from the sidewalk and masturbate like a chimp in a zoo-cage. - the late, great HST.

END OF THREAD.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I don't think that quotes all that clever, and I don't see how the beginning of it even relates to the end.

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

if you want humorous/clever, there's the quote from one of my co-workers which has probably been uttered by sportswriters/editors everywhere in America:
    "Every night is Election Night in Sports, so where's our pizza?"

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

Read my side sig... as spoken by the best columnist of my lifetime.
    Unfortunately, he is no longer with us and we have a whole generation of idiot columnists who are sure to make themselves the story.

7. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

"If sportswriting teaches you anything, and there is much truth to it as well as plenty of lies, it is that for your life to be worth anything you must sooner or later face the possibility of terrible, searing regret. Though you must also manage to avoid it or your life will be ruined."

Frank Bascombe in Richard Ford's The Sportswriter

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

"Sports writers are like hot dogs. No wait, we eat lot of hot dogs."
    - Anon.

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

"It was like throwing Skittles down a cave." - Anon

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

"I could read the sports page if my hair were on fire."
    -Jerry Seinfeld

I know it doesn't relate directly to the biz, but I've always liked it because it demonstrates just how attached some people are to what we do.

11. chazp

chazp Active Member

I can't recall you said, it but I've heard it several times concerning prep sports.
    "You have to remember we're writing about the best years of their lives."

12. Breakyoself

Breakyoself Member

i like the one about election night. and have often wondered the same thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted