1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Quitting social media

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by typefitter, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Tweener

Tweener Well-Known Member

Yep, catching specific tweets on your feed while scrolling Twitter is pretty difficult. I have a few news sites that I like and scroll the feed of those publications to find news stories, but I doubt the majority of users go that route.

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Maybe that’s why people who are ‘good’ at Twitter tweet the same thing over & over at strategic times of the day. Richard Deitsch comes to mind. Or he tweets the same thing worded slightly differently.

Of course doing that, you run the risk of annoying people. I’d prefer not to annoy.

Tweener likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Sounds like I would be tremendous at Twitter.

Lugnuts likes this.
  4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

ICYMI:

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I click on the links in my Twitter feed. I see an interesting article, then another, then another, then another, and soon I've got a half-dozen articles open that I'm not going to end up reading.

Donny in his element and Lugnuts like this.
  6. HC

HC Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

QYFW likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

8. Dick Whitman

Is that a New Yorker cartoon?

I read The New Yorker cover-to-cover every week.

I devour most issues of Esquire and GQ. Nothing would make me prouder than to some day land a byline in any of those publications. Or Rolling Stone. Or the Atlantic. You get the idea.

YankeeFan likes this.
  9. Dick Whitman

This morning, a high school classmate posted a photo of her child of about 11 or 12, in the hospital, on a gurney, wearing a hospital cap, going in for some kind of procedure. The kid isn’t smiling for the camera, but staring off into space.

“Wishing for the best for this trooper,” she posted, or something along those lines.

The impulse to post photos of sick kids is one I really don’t connect with. Or grades. It feels like such a grotesque invasion of their privacies.

10. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I saw you mentioned the New Yorker, I always like to recommend this documentary.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I saw this thread pop up, and I have to say, I don't miss Twitter one bit. It was such an essential part of my daily routine, I'm kind of surprised at how little it mattered in the end. It's meaningless, basically. If people enjoy being on there and get something out it, great. My life is better for not being hooked on it.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

DSkdw78W4AIcz7t.jpg

SpeedTchr likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted